Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: Letting people through while in a comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie McBoogerballs View Post
    I've not got a problem with people not playing in Comps, but they shouldn't expect to push through slower groups who are in the Comp.
    The Comp players should have priority over a friendly game, yes?
    no they shouldn't. being in a comp bares no relevance. if your slower and the group behind is faster then let them through. how is that going to effect your comp? personally i prefer to let people through as i can relax more when i know I'm not holding people up. that's called CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS

people are so wrapped up in their own self importance that basic manners seems to have gone out the window. your not playing for a green jacket so get over yourself
    Last edited by hovis; 13-Sep-2017 at 19:52.

Assistant Pro

Hovis. Well said.

Assistant Pro

What do those little faces mean?
    Are they supposed to represent crying with laughter?
    Yes. And I'm sorry. That was silly of me. Please except my apologies

We only have drawn tee times for our captains and Presidents day. Other than that, as long as there is light you can enter the comp.

I wouldnt use the "i am in a comp" line to either push past or hold up others.

If i was racing against the light i may add it to a request to play through a slow group who are possibly not playing a full round. This would be a rare occasion.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

When you are a member of a club you sign up to accept that it is not all about you and what you want - however much you have paid - no matter what you think you are due; deserve or should be able to do. If you don't like how the club and it's members organise things, then you can stand for a committee position to influence change - or go elsewhere.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Money List Winner

The Comp players should have priority over a friendly game, yes?
    Both the R&A and the USGA say no.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    no they shouldn't. being in a comp bares no relevance. if your slower and the group behind is faster then let them through. how is that going to effect your comp? personally i prefer to let people through as i can relax more when i know I'm not holding people up. that's called CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS

people are so wrapped up in their own self importance that basic manners seems to have gone out the window. your not playing for a green jacket so get over yourself
    we said, i totally agree.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    Both the R&A and the USGA say no.
    Is that actually in the rule book? Got a link?
    This is a question I asked a few weeks ago and nobody seems to have any evidence to either side of the argument. Iv always though the competition holds priority
    Personally Iv never really heard of bounce games rattling into the back of a competition and playing through. If I'm out playing a bounce game I certainly wouldn't bash up the back of the last group in a competition and expect to be let through. Our ladies have the tee blocked from 4-6 on a Thursday despite there only being 20 of them or something and they won't dream of letting you through if you caught up with them because that's "their time" and they're in a competition.
    The last group could have went out last as they were beginners and knew they'd be a bit slower, thinking if they played last there would be no-one behind them so they could relax a bit and try and score without holding anyone up, getting more stressed and harassed by having to stand aside all the time to let players through. some people actually do try and score rather than just time their round.

Why am I?
    Why would you turn up for a friendly knock with a mate on a Comp day?
    Why not enter the Comp in the first place?
    You know the course will be rammed with groups on every hole and yet you'd expect to be let through?
    There's only one idiot and troll on this thread, pal.
    Glad we agree on something.

Obviously people can play golf whenever they like. I can't be expected to know when every course in the local area is having all of their competitions, let alone care. If the course accepts your booking and you pay your money then you play your round like anyone else. Overall this thread comes down to common decency, anyone playing for any reason should be letting people through if they are being held up.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

I'd avoid going out behind a competition at my course. But, if I turned up at an away course to play on my own (or even with a mate) and a competition had just gone out with a field rammed with 3 balls, then I wouldn't want to be let through, even if I was asked. Effectively, I'd be rushing the whole way round. I'd try and make up with someone so we played the same pace as the field, or, if no one else was around, i'd do some chipping and putting after finishing a hole etc.  

I couldn't think of anything worse than playing through a full field of golfers like speedy gonzales. I'd be pretty relaxed about it. I am outdoors, not at work but doing something I enjoy.  

That said...... a lot of clubs I know block out some tee times after the competition to act as a bit of a buffer.
    Last edited by Junior; 14-Sep-2017 at 10:50.
    H/cap 6.7,