Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Re: Letting people through while in a comp?

Interesting this as I've lost count of the amount of times I've had the words "Sorry, we would let you through but we're in the competition" thrown at me when out having a round on my own...

I'm quite quick when playing in a group, I'm even quicker when I'm on my own, it's almost as if "playing in the comp" affords them superior status over every other "paying" member...

On the flip side to that is that I'm "not" a paying member, I'm one of the greens staff and I get membership as part of my pay deal, being very conscious of this fact and being an all round 'nice bloke' I'm more than happy to tail along behind a comp and will 'happily' turn down any invite to play through...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Quote Originally Posted by moogie View Post
    Seems a poor set up mate
    Every club I've been a member at locally, could enter the comp in any tee time slot that you wanted
    Never heard of fixed tee slots for comps
    A bit antiquated
    Considering modern working lives, shifts, time restraints, etc......

Your club just seems to keep giving 😉
    How do you mean fixed tee slots? I don't understand your reply mate.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    How do you mean fixed tee slots? I don't understand your reply mate.

Fixed/designated/limited , inclusive even......
    You said the "last" comp slot was 230

I'm saying at clubs I've been a member at, I'm free to play the comp at anytime through the day, any tee time, whilst there's enough daylight to get around

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie McBoogerballs View Post
    Why would you want to play a sociable game on a Comp day anyway
    You know the course will be full of Golfers trying to make a score and hopefully being able to concentrate on that without some inconsiderate players who are out for a friendly knock trying to force their way through them.
    I don't get it, I really don't.
    Now you're just being an idiot. Bloody hell, some of the trolls in this place.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Fixed/designated/limited , inclusive even......
    You said the "last" comp slot was 230

I'm saying at clubs I've been a member at, I'm free to play the comp at anytime through the day, any tee time, whilst there's enough daylight to get around
    We have a last off time partly at the request of the comp secretary who wants to be able to close off and still have his Saturday night out. We don't have huge numbers playing our comps so it does not bother anyone but I was talking with guys on Saturday, from Tyneside GC, who can have 180-190 in a comp. They must need all the light available to get that many golfers around so I suspect there are no restrictions there.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    Interesting this as I've lost count of the amount of times I've had the words "Sorry, we would let you through but we're in the competition" thrown at me when out having a round on my own...

I'm quite quick when playing in a group, I'm even quicker when I'm on my own, it's almost as if "playing in the comp" affords them superior status over every other "paying" member...

On the flip side to that is that I'm "not" a paying member, I'm one of the greens staff and I get membership as part of my pay deal, being very conscious of this fact and being an all round 'nice bloke' I'm more than happy to tail along behind a comp and will 'happily' turn down any invite to play through...
    In some clubs it sometimes does...most often in respect of 1st tee priority, but also when a group playing a match catches a group on a tee. The group teeing off will sometimes realise the group behind is probably playing a match and will ask 'are you playing a match?' if the answer is in the affirmative the match will be asked if they'd like to play through.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    We have a last off time partly at the request of the comp secretary who wants to be able to close off and still have his Saturday night out. We don't have huge numbers playing our comps so it does not bother anyone but I was talking with guys on Saturday, from Tyneside GC, who can have 180-190 in a comp. They must need all the light available to get that many golfers around so I suspect there are no restrictions there.

Can understand in a way from your clubs view, admin side, but I'm sure comps can be closed automatically via computer scoring system, or even closed the next day

But some clubs with huge membership numbers, like you've said, this can't work
    Like Tyneside
    Same at westerhope and city of Newcastle, where I've been a member at, big membership numbers, big comp entries
    Plus, whickham, where stu and Dave play, have a huge turnout too

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Similar to our place I think, they started to put a cut off time on after entry closed. You used to be able to phone up the pro and get added on later but they stopped it this year for some reason.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    Similar to our place I think, they started to put a cut off time on after entry closed. You used to be able to phone up the pro and get added on later but they stopped it this year for some reason.

You need to join a proper club mate 😜

Where you can play when you like, people wave you through, there's no shouting and fighting on the course, and no leather wedges😂😂

You need to join a proper club mate 😜

Where you can play when you like, people wave you through, there's no shouting and fighting on the course, and no leather wedges😂😂
    No complaints from me mate, it's better than Coronation Street our place. I was only asking about being let through during a comp out of interest mate, if I'm not entered into it I wouldn't even contemplate bothering those who are competing.