Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Letting people through while in a comp?

May as well start another as this happened to me quite recently.

We couldn't play in a comp the other week so my regular PP and me decided to go out afterwards for our usual unfriendly matchplay game .
    The course was empty behind the final group so we'd caught them up by around the 5th or 6th hole, by this time they had lost 2 clear holes on the group in front. They were proper painful to watch, 30 practice swings, never ready to play a shot, bags left in front of the greens, a whole array of slow play skills were on show.
    Are we allowed to be let through even though we'd effectively be in the middle of a comp?
    We didn't bother asking as we walked off after 11 anyway, a combination of bad weather and extremely slow play, plus I've heard numerous members say competitions always have priority on the course.
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Challenge Tour Pro

Re: Letting people through while in a comp?

They should still call you through, especially if there is a 2 hole gap!

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    They should still call you through, especially if there is a 2 hole gap!
    So pace of play etiquette over rules the fact they are in a comp?
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Tour Winner

Yes, yes, and most defenitely yes

They must maintain pace of play
    Or step aside and let you play through

The comp has no bearing on good manners and etiquette
    They still apply

Assistant Pro

At my club we have a booking sheet online. Anyone can book a time on a medal day without obligation to enter the competition so you often get a mix of games out on the course so I would say yes, etiquette (speed of play) wins in a case like this. If it was a major competition like club champs and all the games in front were in the competition then I guess you could possibly argue the case about letting someone through depending on what rules the committee have put in place.

Challenge Tour Pro

We quite often call 'general' players through when we are in a comp, if they are faster than us (which they often will be if they don't have to find lost balls, putt out etc) and if there is clear space ahead

Unless there's a specific club rule it'd be pretty selfish not to!

As mentioned on another thread I was in a 4BBB comp on Saturday, last group off. There was a gap between our group and the one ahead of us so we let 3 x 2 balls not in the comp through. Only an absolute jobsworth would not do the same in my eyes. Comp or not, we play for fun, same as the blokes we let through.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Only an absolute jobsworth would not do the same in my eyes. Comp or not, we play for fun, same as the blokes we let through.
    We seem to be inundated with them

Never heard of a group in a comp calling a casually playing group behind them through at our place. It is just not done. I think the reason is that it will further slow down the group playing in the comp, and since it is common practice in Germany to have the award presentation directly after the comp, all the other players will be sitting around and desperately waiting for the last group to finally come in. If it is a big comp with a hundred players or so (not that common, but we have about 4 of those every year), that means you might have started your round at 9 o'clock in the morning, probably came off the course a about 1 pm, but will have to wait around till 6 or 7 pm until the last group finally comes back to the clubhouse (there are always a few who leave early anyway, especialy if they have played badly and have no chance to be in the prizes anyway, but it is considered bad style and somewhat rude). I think that's why playing through for non-comp players is just not happening. Becasue that would add an extra few minutes here and there, and if you are playing in a comp, your responsibility is towards your fellow competitors slightly more than to other people playing behind. There's no official rule against it, of course, and I think, if the last comp group was held up searching for a ball or something, they should let faster non-comp groups through. But never heard of it happening.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Assistant Pro

Always let people through in a comp. we are only playing for a few pro shop notes. It's hardly an excuse not to.