Challenge Tour Pro

Letting people play through on the 18th!

Playing with a mate yesterday, hit our drives on the 17th and as we got to our balls, we noticed a ladies 4 ball finishing up ahead on the green.

Mate says 'blimey, they are slow, I saw them on the 12th as we were playing the 6th!"

We finished the hole, and as we walked to the 18th tee, we could see them on the 18th fairway. I said to my mate "that's not too bad, they are only going to hold us up on one hole".

Next thing they have all stood to the side and are waving us through. We played through, thanked them as we went past, and had a nice little chat with them for a minute or two.

All well and good, but I couldn't help thinking they had held themselves up for 10 minutes or more, just to avoid holding us up for a couple of minutes.

Are there any circumstances when you would wave someone through on the 18th other than if you are looking for a lost ball?

Re: Letting people play through on the 18th!

All credit to them! I must admit when we get to the 18th rather than let people through I think we tend to just crack on, finish the round and get to the clubhouse.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Q-School Graduate

Maybe they were having a nice leisurely knock and didn't want to feel pressured by two studs waiting on the tee whilst they plodded on?
    • TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 10.5
    • Adams Tightlies 16
    • Nike VRS 3 Hybrid 21
    • Mizuno MX17 4-PW (1" longer)
    • Titleist Vokey 250.08 Oilcan
    • Spalding 56, 12 bounce
    • Yes Robin Putter

It has to be what jdp said

Joking apart on Saturday I was in a 4bbb comp, last group, and we had let 3 groups of 2 balls through. We reached the 17th and perhaps could have let the next 2 ball through but we unanimously decided that by the 17th it was pointless and would delay us more than necessary at that stage. I know if I was being delayed on the 17th I would not expect to get through and it really would not bother me. How much of a delay can there be at that stage, unless Mr Speith is looking for a ruling of course. Letting someone through on the 18th is beyond what is expected, fair play to them.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Q-School Graduate

Maybe they just wanted to get a close up view of you.

Were you drinking coke?

happens quite often at Nairn off the blue tee, 550 with a very narrow gap though some pine tree's.

apart from these comp days, you tend to find the group that has held you up for 17 holes suddenly gets a shift on and it then looks like its you that has held the whole field up
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jdpjamesp View Post
    Maybe they were having a nice leisurely knock and didn't want to feel pressured by two studs waiting on the tee whilst they plodded on?
    Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Maybe they just wanted to get a close up view of you.

Were you drinking coke?
    Never thought of it at the time, but you are right, it's the only plausible explanation!

Major Champion

Maybe they wanted you to go through, so it looked like you were the slow ones when you finished out on 18, and were holding them up.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

Money List Winner

They were deffo checking you out.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    .....you tend to find the group that has held you up for 17 holes suddenly gets a shift on and it then looks like its you that has held the whole field up
    Ha, yes, after hours of plodding suddenly a sprint up 18 leaving the following group half a whole back. Seen it occasionally also.