Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swearing - care required

A recent post reminded me of something that happened last year. Two mates & I were playing in a 4BBB open, with one of the mate's mates, who the other two of us didn't know. My partner was having a nightmare off his 6 handicap & was giving voice to his frustration with words that would earn me an infraction if I repeated them.

The other guy was quite genial & we had a good chat on the way round. Going up 17 my partner asked what he did for a living. "I'm the vicar of Newbottle" he says. My partner apologised for his language but was told that our vicar had previously been a miner & had heard all the words before.
    Taylormade M1 9, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Re: Swearing - care required

It's getting rarer in this day and age that you meet someone who doesn't swear. My personal view is that getting offended at someone else's choice of words isn't logical. Every word we use had to have been invented and given a meaning at some point, and for swear words somebody decided that they were 'rude' and that people should be offended by them? It's nonsense - they're just a different collection of letters.

As long as you're not swearing AT someone - that's different. I'm talking about when people just say swearwords to themselves to vent.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

I was playing in a pairs match at the weekend....some good stuff, some bad.....one particular hole I hooked my ball into the water (for the 2nd time) and called myself a Richard head, as soon as I said it I apologised and that was that.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    A recent post reminded me of something that happened last year. Two mates & I were playing in a 4BBB open, with one of the mate's mates, who the other two of us didn't know. My partner was having a nightmare off his 6 handicap & was giving voice to his frustration with words that would earn me an infraction if I repeated them.

The other guy was quite genial & we had a good chat on the way round. Going up 17 my partner asked what he did for a living. "I'm the vicar of Newbottle" he says. My partner apologised for his language but was told that our vicar had previously been a miner & had heard all the words before.
    Golf is frustrating though it's like going the match.
    This is where you can vent your pent up frustration from the week.
    But you must take care if playing with others who might not like it.
    Dosnt bother me but does some people , it's why some guys avoid playing with certain people.
    Think it's harmless really , but some are to sensitive these days.
    like banned for three months , Really?

Guy at our club walked into the clubhouse the other Sunday and was asked how he played. He said he drove it like a something, hit iron shots like a something, chipped like a something and putted like a something. The something was the ultimate swear word. It was at pretty top volume and there were kids around. And he then got the hump when someone picked him up on it.

Standards are dropping.

2 of my 4 ball at the weekend, people who MIB knows well, swore profusely at themselves, their clubs and their balls at the weekend. It was actually very funny and no harm was done. Part of the way round one of the swearers turned to the other who was going through a rant to himself and did the "Sky apology" which they do when a pro swears. We fell about at that and then repeated it quite often afterwards when required.

Context is so often the key. I'm not a swearer, many are now and it seems to be part of life. Not a big fan in the wrong place but I don't get hung up about it.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

I made a conscious effort to say something other than a swear word ..... got more stick for that then swearing!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

I was playing the other week and missed a shortish putt and went "ah balderdash". That got a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    Guy at our club walked into the clubhouse the other Sunday and was asked how he played. He said he drove it like a something, hit iron shots like a something, chipped like a something and putted like a something. The something was the ultimate swear word. It was at pretty top volume and there were kids around. And he then got the hump when someone picked him up on it.

Standards are dropping.
    Unacceptable. I would've said something too.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19 stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 55, 60)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Swearing is much more common (and widely accepted) in Germany. Even my mum swears on the golf course occasionally (always makes me chuckle, because she really does not swear in normal life). And even if someone really loses it and yells some obsentiy at the top of his lungs over the golf course (which is not that common, but does happen from time to time), I never saw anyone offended by it. Normally it is mosly cause for amusement and some good natured "oh, look, he seems to be having a worse day than I do" comments.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60, Odyssey White Hot putter