Thread: Old Driver

Old Driver

Gone back to my old driver for the past couple of comps and i cant begin to explain how much easier its made my game. I now feel as though it can be a go to club rather that a worry all the time i am faced with a lengthy par 4.

The only difference i can think of is the length of the shaft, my Callaway XR has about 46" shaft and my 913 has 44.5" its not a massive difference but for me its making such a difference, on saturday i hit all 5 fairways that I used the driver on, long and laser straight. Its been a revelation.

Anyone else fared the same or got a love for an old club they keep going back to?
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5° - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50°, 54° & 58° all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

Re: Old Driver

Shaft length not the only difference

Clearly a mental difference between them too or you wouldn't have even considered going back

Shorter drivers are all the rage right now, it's really caught and it seems like nobody is using a full length one anymore. It's like a secret that's got out or something.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Q-School Graduate

Got both 3-wood and driver in the 'XR' and struggled to hit either particularly well until I realised why, the driver was 46" and the 3-wood was 43.5" I tried shortening the 3-wood to 42.5" and it felt horrendous so I extended it again to 43" and all is well, I haven't touched the driver but that's neither here nor there as I don't use a driver anyway...

Still can't get away from my 'Tour Edge XCG3' 3-wood though, a stiff shaft, 43" and 'deeper face' seem to be my preference...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Can you remember why you stopped using it first time round ?
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Quote Originally Posted by williamalex1 View Post
    Can you remember why you stopped using it first time round ?
    I got sucked in by the marketing and came into some money from an accumulator and bought this driver. It went well for a while and can still go really well but with the 913 its just so much more consistent, my misses arent as bad and the distance difference is minimal as im in the short stuff more times than i would be with the other driver.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5° - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50°, 54° & 58° all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

Challenge Tour Pro

Your not the first to be sucked in by the marketing, my driver and 3 wood is shorter than standard, not a bit surprised that your getting on better with your older shorter length driver.

Its been said that the majority of players are playing with the wrong length of shafts in their drivers, if the pros use shorter length drivers than the ones we can buy is it any wonder players have problems with accuracy.

I have the Callaway XR16 and one of the big things for me is how straight it is. In fact it's probably the straightest drivers I've hit for a long time.
    It just goes to show how these things vary from player to player.

Head Pro

Bit like my thread a few weeks back but my old driver is an inch longer and the new driver inch shorter. I'm hitting it straighter than the inch shorter R15 :-) whatever works for 6 months stick with it. agreed on the marketing they need to sell piles of the stuff so your old driver is like your nokia 3310 - oh wait they have that back in stock from the 90s :-)

Flextwist is new for 2019 and relaunch the tour silver 2020.

keep hitting it straight and long
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 5.9
    2018: 5.9 >