Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Who do you tip & who's not worthy?

I think we did this a few years back but just reading posts on another topic got me thinking who gets a tip from you and why are they any different to someone in a similar role/service that you wouldn't tip

Some seem no brainers and other maybe not ones you've considered

Examples might be
    Bar staff
    Taxi
    Hairdresser
    Waiter
    Porter
    Delivery drivers
    Shop assistants
    etc

edit, I don't routinely tip all of the above

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: Who do you tip & who's not worthy?

Almost always tip waiters/waitresses (unless service charge included - and we often as for that to be removed so we can tip or not). Tip 10-15% depending upon nature of the meal and the amount/level of service provided. But in a restaurant; 2-3 course meal - aim for 15%.

Taxis - occasionally - if driver has been informative and/or friendly. No fixed % or amount.

Would probably tip a porter...or room service.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

I only ever tip in restaurants

Although in a perfect world I would rather tip the guy in KFC or McDonald's working the fryer than the girl serving me pizza at zizzi
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

I better stick my answer in too

I have tipped all of the above at some point but don't every time, very much depends on how they've done what they've done i.e a smile, conversation, information & anything they did that's not routine or standard

(before its mentioned, I deliberately didn't distinguish between waiter and waitress because I didn't think porter and portress sounded right )

I only ever tip waiters / waitresses although I actually don't think that should happen any more and I do it out of peer pressure. (I speak as someone who did a spell as a waiter many years ago so I have been there).

Tipping came about because wages were rubbish and it was seen as a bonus b/ the only way to come out with any money as restaurants would pay badly knowing tips would top it up. Now we have a minimum wage so waiting staff are no worse paid than many other workers, shop staff etc. Professional waiters will get paid better than minimum wage because they are skilled.

I don't tip anyone else. Same argument that others will use, they are doing their job, why tip for doing what they should be doing?

I should add I have been to America and did tip there profusely as culturally it is expected and also they are still in the scenario of bad pay and tips are needed to make their wage acceptable. You tend to find the level of service is vastly superior because of that incentive. I didn't like it but understood the system and it is not the workers fault that it is set up like that.
    Last edited by Lord Tyrion; 11-Sep-2017 at 10:43.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Routinely, I'll tip waiting staff, barber and taxi drivers around 10%, provided the service has been good of course. Why these and not others, I don't really know! Just what I witnessed my parents doing when I was younger I suppose.

Other people I've tipped in recent times were removal men (I've moved house twice in the last five years, each time a "big move") Used the same firm both times and those guys absolutely grafted their arses off. Fully deserved a few extra quid each.

I do tip in restaurants usually 10% of the food bill [not including wine] if the service is good.
    At the golf club i'll very occasionally buy the bar person a drink, only if i've played well
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I only ever tip waiters / waitresses although I actually don't think that should happen any more and I do it out of peer pressure. (I speak as someone who did a spell as a waiter many years ago so I have been there).

Tipping came about because wages were rubbish and it was seen as a bonus b/ the only way to come out with any money as restaurants would pay badly knowing tips would top it up. Now we have a minimum wage so waiting staff are no worse paid than many other workers, shop staff etc. Professional waiters will get paid better than minimum wage because they are skilled.

I don't tip anyone else. Same argument that others will use, they are doing their job, why tip for doing what they should be doing?

I should add I have been to America and did tip there profusely as culturally it is expected and also they are still in the scenario of bad pay and tips are needed to make their wage acceptable. You tend to find the level of service is vastly superior because of that incentive. I didn't like it but understood the system and it is not the workers fault that it is set up like that.
    This.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5° - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50°, 54° & 58° all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

Money List Winner

In China tipping is not very common, and can even be seen as insulting. It did me in to be honest. The boss of our office out there has a driver, so he got the driver to take me to the wall on a Saturday at half a days notice, he hung around for 4 hours whilst I traipsed up and down it and then drove me back to Beijing. And he plain just refused to take any money from me.

Have also tipped caddies in the US. Not for providing any great advice as there's bob hope of me hitting it where most of them suggested, but mostly for having to put up with my very poor golf.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Try and tip in restaurants, if it's not already added to the bill. Often though we don't have enough change between us to make up 10% and end up dropping a couple of coins and shuffling out.

I tip my barber an extra £1 after a haircut, even though I actually disagree with tipping barbers. If the haircut costs £15 and they do a job then why give them any more? They're supposed to do a good job - it should work the other way round and if they do an unsatisfactory job you should be able to pay them less than the full amount. At least with waiters the bill covers the food but the service could be considered extra. But yeah, I tip him anyway because I always go to the same place and I don't him to remember me as that a-hole who doesn't tip, basically.

I can't think of any other situation where I tip. JustEat has been a godsend since that became popular because you can pay via the app with your card so it's not awkward when you don't tip the delivery driver. For cabs I nearly always use Uber, so same thing applies - amount is charged from card so no awkwardness about not tipping.

Except when I'm on holiday in another country, then all the rules are different. Particularly in Egypt and places like that, you have to tip bloody everyone.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9