Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bunkers GUR

  1. #1
    Tour Winner Crazyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2,664

    Bunkers GUR

    Can you have a qualifier when all bunkers are classed as GUR for the competition?
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

  2. #2
    Grand Slam Winner Imurg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury Bucks
    Posts
    22,240

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Can you have a qualifier when all bunkers are classed as GUR for the competition?
    Nope
    Epic 10°
    Fusion 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    CF 16 5-PW
    Apex GW
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball

    Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

    You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

  3. #3
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    No. Only if some of them are GUR. What proportion "some" means is not specified but it certainly can't be taken to mean all! England Golf, rulefan will tell you says up to 50%. Scottish Golf doesn't specify. I'd suggest it's when there are enough out of play to be likely to make a noticeable impact on scores which will vary from course to course.

    See Decision 1e in the CONGU Manual. I've highlighted the relevant words.

    Q. May an Affiliated Club conduct Qualifying Competitions when some bunkers on the golf course are being renovated, for example, in the course of a phased maintenance programme.
    A. Yes, provided that the club has defined the relevant bunker areas as ground under repair. Rules of Golf Decision 25/13 clarifies that the status of bunkers defined in this way are automatically classified as “through the green” unless the Committee specifically states otherwise.

  4. #4
    Tour Winner Crazyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Could you hand out a general play cut to a player who shoots a 64 in the comp even if it could not now be classified as a qualifier?
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

  5. #5
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    No. Only if some of them are GUR. What proportion "some" means is not specified but it certainly can't be taken to mean all! England Golf, rulefan will tell you says up to 50%. Scottish Golf doesn't specify. I'd suggest it's when there are enough out of play to be likely to make a noticeable impact on scores which will vary from course to course.

    See Decision 1e in the CONGU Manual. I've highlighted the relevant words.

    Q. May an Affiliated Club conduct Qualifying Competitions when some bunkers on the golf course are being renovated, for example, in the course of a phased maintenance programme.
    A. Yes, provided that the club has defined the relevant bunker areas as ground under repair. Rules of Golf Decision 25/13 clarifies that the status of bunkers defined in this way are automatically classified as “through the green” unless the Committee specifically states otherwise.
    You should also note that it is not permissible under the Rules to declare all bunkers GUR which means that if you do, the competition is not played according to the Rules and so cannot be a qualifier anyway.

    See Decision whatever it is. [Couldn't find it on a quick search]
    Last edited by Colin L; 11-Sep-2017 at 09:14.

  6. #6
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,644

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Could you hand out a general play cut to a player who shoots a 64 in the comp even if it could not now be classified as a qualifier?
    Not for one isolated score. It may be taken into account at annual review.

  7. #7
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Could you hand out a general play cut to a player who shoots a 64 in the comp even if it could not now be classified as a qualifier?
    You shouldn't make a general play or an exceptional score reduction [ESR] on the basis of one score. Scores to be taken into account for an ESR must be qualifying scores. A low score in a non-qualifier could be taken into account as part of the evidence for a general play reduction.

  8. #8
    Major Champion bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    19,330

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    You should also note that it is not permissible under the Rules to declare all bunkers GUR which means that if you do, the competition is not played according to the Rules and so cannot be a qualifier anyway.

    See Decision whatever it is. [Couldn't find it on a quick search]
    3-3

    In terms of flooded bunkers, the Committee may not make a general Local Rule providing that all bunkers containg water are ground under repair as such a Local Rule waives a penalty imposed by the Rules of Golf, contrary to Rule 33-8b.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

  9. #9
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    You should also note that it is not permissible under the Rules to declare all bunkers GUR which means that if you do, the competition is not played according to the Rules and so cannot be a qualifier anyway.

    See Decision whatever it is. [Couldn't find it on a quick search]

    Decision 33-8/27

    http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-...on-33,d33-8-27

    Although it refers to bunkers out of play because of flooding, the principle will apply to bunkers out of play for other reasons.

  10. #10
    Tour Winner Crazyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Bunkers GUR

    Cheers everyone !!!!
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Tour Championship Golf Betting Tips

The finale of the 2017 PGA Tour season happens at East Lake Golf Club check out who we think will do well with these Tour Championship Golf Betting Tips

September 19, 2017

Portugal Masters Golf Betting Tips

The European Tour is getting towards the end of the season, check out who the GM Tipster has picked to do well with these Portugal Masters Golf Betting Tips

September 19, 2017

Quiz Of The Week 15th September

How much have you been paying attention to the golfing world this week? Test your knowledge with our quiz...

September 19, 2017

FedEx Cup to be decided at Tour Championship

The 2017 FedEx Cup culminates this week at the Tour Championship at East Lake in Georgia. Jordan Spieth leads the rankings but any of the players in the top five on the standings will claim the Cup if they win at East Lake.

September 19, 2017

Padraig Harrington defends Portugal Masters

Padraig Harrington defends the Portugal Masters over the Dom Pedro Victoria Golf Course in Vilamoura and a strong field has assembled for the tournament.

September 19, 2017