Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How much?!?!

Re: How much?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    Jealousy, what brought you to that conclusion ?...
    not picking on you specifically, just the general tone & the ways these threads generally go.
    £650, buying a game etc etc

Blackballed

Golfs best kept secrets;
    Titleist 975d £10 mint
    Titleist 975j £15 mint
    Titleist 905t £25 mint
    A 975d even makes it in my bag when the (cheap) Nike's being naughty.
    BUT of course you wont be like DJ,Speith,Rory,Day etc with cheap gear and that really does bother some people and those people are a delight for the golf retail industry.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    not picking on you specifically, just the general tone & the ways these threads generally go.
    £650, buying a game etc etc
    Mate of mine spent a fortune on a 'Callaway Epic' driver and 3-wood, went through the fitting process, the works, ordered them both, waited the best part of a month for them to arrive and once out on the course he just couldn't get along with'em, couldn't stand the sound of'em, couldn't stand the feel of'em, hated the ball flight, everything, just hated'em from start to finish, within about 3 weeks they ended on eBay for a fraction of the price he paid for them and he's now back to using his old Callaway Great Big Berthas...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Assistant Pro

Same for many sports though, I play pool and snooker and you can pay £20 for a cue or over £1000 if you wan't to. Like golf, a nice cue custom made to your specs wont turn you into a better player by itself, you still need to do the practice and have the ability but it does give you confidence that you are using something that you feel comfortable with. All sports are the same it's far more down to the humans ability rather than the equipment they use.

Money List Winner

Went out to Manchester at the weekend, it was brill. It is a special treat for us, there was a punch bowl of spirits for six people in one bar £200. Sweet lord mother and Mary. for some people £650 is extracting the Michael. For some it is nothing.
    There is a market out there and that is it. Me, would I have one, your dead right if it got me another yard, but it would have to be bought off fleabay.
    Just wonder how many lessons you could get for £650 to improve your whole game as against using a club 14 times in a round.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by shivas irons View Post
    when I worked at AG this was a standing joke but we obliged and took their money .
    Don't doubt it and anyone who knows anything knows you can't buy a game

BUT some of those customers who easily afford £650 drivers probably had a laugh at you fighting each other for a few crumbs of commission[/QUOTE]

Assistant Pro

Guys......the issue is NOT about having lots of excess cash to chuck about on nice shiny toys, it is about how the hell one manufacturer can justify £300 for a little lump of metal and how another can justify £350 for 70 grammes of graphite! Seems to me we are just lining the pockets of the highly endorsed tour pros as the Benross's of this world can produce products just as good for a fraction of the price.

Challenge Tour Pro

👆👆👆 absolutely.

However, pricing things just out of range for the average Joe just makes them more desirable, same as cars, clothes etc

Value for money? Probably not (unless you make a living out of the game, are an elite amateur, or have more money than sense), but if people will pay it then why not?

The worth will be different for individuals based on their circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Guys......the issue is NOT about having lots of excess cash to chuck about on nice shiny toys, it is about how the hell one manufacturer can justify £300 for a little lump of metal and how another can justify £350 for 70 grammes of graphite! Seems to me we are just lining the pockets of the highly endorsed tour pros as the Benross's of this world can produce products just as good for a fraction of the price.
    You're also paying for the R&D. Benross & the like tend to follow not innovate. Also nothing against benross, but they aren't the same. They operate in a different price sensitive market.

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Don't doubt it and anyone who knows anything knows you can't buy a game

BUT some of those customers who easily afford £650 drivers probably had a laugh at you fighting each other for a few crumbs of commission
    [/QUOTE]

There was plenty to go round