Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Challenge Tour Pro

Re: 14 year old first clubs

Lie is important. If you can afford it get a set that can have the lie altered to suit his height at a various ages. As already said it is pretty easy to lengthen the shafts each time the new grips are fitted..

When I first started to play the pro sold every newcomer senior flex shafted clubs regardless of age. It is better to simply think of them as Active flex.

Head Pro

I went with cobra bio cell graphite for my son - they are now my wife's and he is in another set - were great beginner clubs

Tour Rookie

Personally I think, unless he is a great golfer, then just go standard regular mens irons. My son changed massively from that kind of age(13-15), so we just bought a set of mens wilsons clubs and by mid 15s bought better irons.

They change to quickly at that age to worry unless they are a great golfer, within 6 months he could grow 2 plus inches etc, they have enough problems just coping with the change in body shape/height etc, let alone the same swing 3 months later, so think clubs/shafts for most young golfers aren't really very important.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWilliams View Post
    Personally I think, unless he is a great golfer, then just go standard regular mens irons. My son changed massively from that kind of age(13-15), so we just bought a set of mens wilsons clubs and by mid 15s bought better irons.

They change to quickly at that age to worry unless they are a great golfer, within 6 months he could grow 2 plus inches etc, they have enough problems just coping with the change in body shape/height etc, let alone the same swing 3 months later, so think clubs/shafts for most young golfers aren't really very important.
    👆👆👆 Agree

All 14 year olds will want the latest clubs/matching bag etc (don't we all)

However, for starting out, a standard mens set would be just fine

Maybe motivate him by dangling the carrot of a new set if he sticks with it and practices through the winter etc...by which time he'll probably have grown (in size & strength) and need a different set anyway

Good luck, always good to see new juniors' love the game