Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

14 year old first clubs

My 14 year old is looking for his first set of clubs. He is 5 - 4" ish, but after trying out a few clubs at AG, it is tricky as I am guessing these irons will last for 1-2 years at most! The AG pro recommended half an inch shorter shafts and senior lite shafts!

Am looking at a set of Benross Gold Speed graphite irons, any other thoughts? Any golfers with sons in the same position!

Just looking for best option

Cheers

Re: 14 year old first clubs

Quote Originally Posted by dankiz View Post
    My 14 year old is looking for his first set of clubs. He is 5 - 4" ish, but after trying out a few clubs at AG, it is tricky as I am guessing these irons will last for 1-2 years at most! The AG pro recommended half an inch shorter shafts and senior lite shafts!

Am looking at a set of Benross Gold Speed graphite irons, any other thoughts? Any golfers with sons in the same position!

Just looking for best option

Cheers
    Times have changed I guess but when my son was this age (25 years ago) he was a similar height to your lad, we bought him a regular set of irons which he used perfectly well (he got down to a single figure h/c within a year) for about 3 or 4 years, he then upgraded to a fitted set.
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Can always get them lengthened again right?

I think it's not bad advice to get something with a senior shaft in it. But I really wouldn't be looking at anything new. Go on one of the online second hand club sites and pick some old Callaway or Taylormade up. I wouldn't advise spending too much on his first set as he could outgrow them pretty quick. If he picks the game up pretty quickly and starts to get a good swing on him then the senior graphite shafts might become useless to him very quickly. At least if you got some second hand Cally or TM you would pretty much get your money back on FleeBay. Then go and get him fitted on something that is more suited to his swing.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

I am 5' 5" and use standard length clubs. If your son is just starting out then senior shafts may be the way to go as suggested.

My son at this size had a half set of ladies Lynx graphite irons - did a grand job for over a year as he grew and his golf developed and swing speed increased and he moved onwards.

Sub 50 - so might be worth a look at something like that as ladies shafts would be similar and built for someone of that sort of size without adjustment.

Next was a John Letters graphite shaft set which were also pretty cheap and at 17 we are now another 3 sets on.

If he gets the bug be prepared !

I don't think you can go wrong with Benross as good value for money but given longevity if keen will be good for no more than 1 to 2 years as he grows and game develops might be worth considering 2nd hand options.

Got me interested for a second there, I thought you meant 14 year old clubs for your first set.
    Comp Set- Driver-Titleist 909 D2, x3 wood-Mizuno MP001, x5 wood-Cobra S2, xHybrid-Mizuno MX700 20 deg, xx
    Irons- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW, xxMizuno Tour Style 52 & Vokey 56 deg,xxPutter - Odyssey White Steel No 1
    Old School Clubs - Too many to list.
    2017 H'cap - Start 10.8, finish 12.0

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Got me interested for a second there, I thought you meant 14 year old clubs for your first set.
    lol

Assistant Pro

Thanks Guys! On Trackman he had a 68-70mph swing with a 7 iron and was definitely hitting the senior flex (callaway steelhead) best of all! 120 yard carry I think! Am possibly thinking ladies shafts as they would be shorter anyway or standard with senior or ladies flex but choking down on club a bit! Much appreciated anyway

Quote Originally Posted by dankiz View Post
    Thanks Guys! On Trackman he had a 68-70mph swing with a 7 iron and was definitely hitting the senior flex (callaway steelhead) best of all! 120 yard carry I think! Am possibly thinking ladies shafts as they would be shorter anyway or standard with senior or ladies flex but choking down on club a bit! Much appreciated anyway
    Best advice I can give is get a good quality second hand set in senior flex. It is really simple to cut a set down to size and put some new grips on, because he will probably need smaller grips anyway. All it would take is a pipe cutter and a Stanley knife and watch YOUTUBE. Then in a year or so if he grows quite a bit it is very easy to put some plugs in and lengthen them.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com