Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: "Hello Mr Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by ger147 View Post
    We've recently had a woman as the overall captain of our club. Pretty Rita sure wouldn't have taken too kindly to being called Mr. Captain.
    Fixed that for you Gerry
    handicap 15.5

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    I obviously wrongly assumed that clubs still have a captain for each section and an overall captain
    There are captains for each section but if you are nominated for Club Captain you do both men's / club or Ladies/ club .
    But you were right Bob we have three forgot the Junior captain my apologies.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Not expected at all. No guidance and directive given by club. Just the individual's choice.

And yes - always - someone with the inclination and time to invest. But they still have to be asked and then nominated for approval by the members. That you might be a not very good golfer is completely irrelevant to the role of Captain. In representing the club - the captains are simply expected to embody (as far as possible) and uphold the traditions and ethos of the club.
    I certainly agree they fulfill a valuable role for what is often a thankless task.

That said in most sports the Captain leads the playing team and thus the respect of the players and members. In golf clubs its more of a clerical and ambassador role which, in my book, isn't something that shouldn't require/expect anyone to use formal titles.