Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: "Hello Mr Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I've used the address "Mr Captain" before, it's not compulsory to do so but on some occasions it seems appropriate.
    This at my club also - not required but we often do so with a smile. We are fortunate in that those who become our Captain are usually well liked, respected and popular members of our club - and we know that as Captain they carry quite a load and responsibility in representing our club around the place.

I'll add that our Captains do not expect to greeted in this manner and there is no edict that we should - but I like to think it simply as a nice thing to do and something that differentiates a members golf club from other sorts of sporting club.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 10-Sep-2017 at 19:47.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    It would be very easy to misconstrue this. Clearly from the posts on here it's not done at some clubs but certainly at every club I have been a member of the term has been used. It isn't compulsory or expected. It's just, well, a nice thing to do. The Captain puts a lot of effort and usually expense into his year and we try to make it special for him. The same goes for the Lady Captain too.
    I have heard lots of "abbreviations" from "Mr. C" to "Captain" and "Skipper". No one is bothered. It isn't taken seriously and it's not nobbish.
    I don't see where the problem is to be honest.
    This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Could be prize giving nights (though it's so long since I attended one of those I can't remember) or if I'm visiting another club and the Captain is there in some hosting capacity, I might use it then when thanking them for their hospitality.

As for reasons, I'm just a bit of a traditionalist and appreciate the more formal occasions and traditions.
    Or it could be that I'm just a knob.
    You are not

Money List Winner

I had a couple of people always do this but there was definitely no deference intended (or taken)!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    It would be very easy to misconstrue this. Clearly from the posts on here it's not done at some clubs but certainly at every club I have been a member of the term has been used. It isn't compulsory or expected. It's just, well, a nice thing to do. The Captain puts a lot of effort and usually expense into his year and we try to make it special for him. The same goes for the Lady Captain too.
    I have heard lots of "abbreviations" from "Mr. C" to "Captain" and "Skipper". No one is bothered. It isn't taken seriously and it's not nobbish.
    I don't see where the problem is to be honest.
    This ^^^^👍

Tour Rookie

Some sort of inverse snobbery on here I think.
    Addressing someone who has probably done a few years on the clubs council before becoming Captain as Mr Captain is perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

Assistant Pro

Oh it's a bit outdated and can be a bit awkward and seem silly but really what's wrong with showing this respect if it's part of the club's tradition

As others have stated, the Captain usually will have paid his dues and contributed significantly to the club voluntarily

I really do not see the problem with this. Having been a private club member since I was 12, I am just use to it. But on the other hand if he insisted on being called "Mr Captain" I would go out of my way not to.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Club Champion

I've heard it said at the clubs I've been a member at. Usually used by seniors, or friends of captains.

Nice to read forummers sticking up for a nice bit of tradition...