Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Are we stupid or superficial?

i play with a few guys who are superb ball strikers and are low plus handicaps, all play with shovels, but they had always used ping irons. personally i prefer a smaller head and hit a blade better than a do a shovel for some reason... no idea why. tried GI irons and never hit them anything like as good as i do my MP4.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    I'm sat here wondering why the hell we play the clubs we do. I'm a purist and love to play with a more bladed club, but why do I. My buddy I play with all the time is a +2 handicapper and pretty damn awesome at golf. He plays with PING i25 and hits far more greens than me.

Is that because he uses a club that is more forgiving than me? Should I get something with a cavity back? I currently have the MP15 as they give a little bit more forgiveness than a traditional Mizzy blade but nothing like a cavity would. Never liked the look of a cavity because of the thicker topline. Always played a bladed club right back to being a kid with Mizzy TP9.

Why does any golfer play with a bladed iron when a cavity would surely help us hit more greens......
    In answer to your questions, not really it depends on what works best for you and what you can look down at and like. Mp15 irons aren't blades tho and do offer a level of forgiveness, I know plus golfers who use cavity back irons and ones who use pure blades, it's each to their own. I'm scratch, I just got fitted 4-pw for the mp18 blades and hit them just as good as I did my 710 cbs irons with a touch lower flight I was looking for. Your pal is plus 2 because at his moment in time he does certain things better than you, I bet you could give him pretty much any iron with the same shafts and he'd still be plus 2. You should go and have a block of lessons and target an area of your game is costing you shots, if your irons really aren't right for you I'm sure the coach will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Parsaregood View Post
    In answer to your questions, not really it depends on what works best for you and what you can look down at and like. Mp15 irons aren't blades tho and do offer a level of forgiveness, I know plus golfers who use cavity back irons and ones who use pure blades, it's each to their own.
    I agree, they aren't a pure blade in the sense of things and do give a little bit more forgiveness than an MP4, but nothing like the cavity back clubs.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Assistant Pro

I agree, they aren't a pure blade in the sense of things and do give a little bit more forgiveness than an MP4, but nothing like the cavity back clubs.
    Cavity back clubs have drawbacks of their own and I'd argue there are certain situations where a blade would outperform it everytime. Hitting out the semi rough in a flyer lie, sometimes if you want to hit a 3/4 shot with a cb club it goes just as far as a full shot or further because the semi rough combined with the cavity head puts very little spin on the ball which makes it carry much further and also they don't stop as well on the greens. So the less loft aswell as more forgiving lower spinning iron would be more of a hindrance than a help if I were to game them and I feel it's one of the main reasons 98% of pros 6 iron up use a blade or small cavity and many have a 47 degree wedge instead of a pw because of this

I'm sat here wondering why the hell we play the clubs we do. I'm a purist and love to play with a more bladed club, but why do I. My buddy I play with all the time is a +2 handicapper and pretty damn awesome at golf. He plays with PING i25 and hits far more greens than me.

Is that because he uses a club that is more forgiving than me? Should I get something with a cavity back? I currently have the MP15 as they give a little bit more forgiveness than a traditional Mizzy blade but nothing like a cavity would. Never liked the look of a cavity because of the thicker topline. Always played a bladed club right back to being a kid with Mizzy TP9.

Why does any golfer play with a bladed iron when a cavity would surely help us hit more greens......
    Swap clubs, my money will still be on him...
    COYS

Agree with a few of the other comments you would probably still get beat but the cavity backs might help you out a bit.
    Full set of PXG clubs from putter to Driver. Pro V1 golf ball

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    Swap clubs, my money will still be on him...
    Without a doubt it would. He is 5 shots lower on his handicap and normally loose to him by 3-5 shots and on the odd occasion maybe a single shot.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Wouldn't make any difference. Stick with your blades.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

Thanks Nick, it's fun to be back seeing the same old names thrashing it out on here. How's the golf going?
    In a word, notverygood, but I'm still enjoying it, play more rounds with vintage clubs than my newer set these days.

Looking at your handicap, you're obviously laying half decent golf!
    Comp Set- Driver-Titleist 909 D2, x3 wood-Mizuno MP001, x5 wood-Cobra S2, xHybrid-Mizuno MX700 20 deg, xx
    Irons- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW, xxMizuno Tour Style 52 & Vokey 56 deg,xxPutter - Odyssey White Steel No 1
    Old School Clubs - Too many to list.
    2017 H'cap - Start 10.8, finish 12.0

Any score with legal equipment, unless it's outlawed then crack on.

In the end it's something we do for fun.

Lots of people own fast and powerful cars but just drive to the supermarket and occasionally sit in bank holiday traffic jams. They like to know that one or two times, when they really need it, the power is there.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

Three Goals Method- My Game plan