Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are we stupid or superficial?

I'm sat here wondering why the hell we play the clubs we do. I'm a purist and love to play with a more bladed club, but why do I. My buddy I play with all the time is a +2 handicapper and pretty damn awesome at golf. He plays with PING i25 and hits far more greens than me.

Is that because he uses a club that is more forgiving than me? Should I get something with a cavity back? I currently have the MP15 as they give a little bit more forgiveness than a traditional Mizzy blade but nothing like a cavity would. Never liked the look of a cavity because of the thicker topline. Always played a bladed club right back to being a kid with Mizzy TP9.

Why does any golfer play with a bladed iron when a cavity would surely help us hit more greens......
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Re: Are we stupid or superficial?

Morning.
    Firstly, he's hitting more greens because he's using Ping i25s.....best irons I've hit in years.
    However, where's the challenge, where's the fun, where's the satisfaction of playing well with blades.

Its a bit like riding a bike with stabilisers, sure it's easier but not as much fun.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Aid you know i have the answer to your problem.

I still have your 2 iron. Just say the word and you can have it back.

I sold the clubs apart from the 3 &4 iron. I just couldn't do it. They were too good and I know you want them back.

You can have them for postage. Up to you
    Titleist 910 9.5* (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Funny this a I being a high handicapper brought a set of cleveland 588CB's irons 3 or 4 years ago as liked the look of them

Recently been having lessons pro suggested I get fitted as the above are designed for low handicappers

So been fitted and now have a nice set TM M2 irons that are easy to hit with and more forgiving - just getting use to distances

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Morning.
    Firstly, he's hitting more greens because he's using Ping i25s.....best irons I've hit in years.
    However, where's the challenge, where's the fun, where's the satisfaction of playing well with blades.

Its a bit like riding a bike with stabilisers, sure it's easier but not as much fun.
    Agreed, it's not all about the score, enjoy playing your blades Adey.
    (Good to see you back on the forum again )
    Comp Set- Driver-Titleist 909 D2, x3 wood-Mizuno MP001, x5 wood-Cobra S2, xHybrid-Mizuno MX700 20 deg, xx
    Irons- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW, xxMizuno Tour Style 52 & Vokey 56 deg,xxPutter - Odyssey White Steel No 1
    Old School Clubs - Too many to list.
    2017 H4H H'cap Challenge vs Richart & chrisd - Start 10.8, current 12.0

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Morning.
    Firstly, he's hitting more greens because he's using Ping i25s.....
    Nothing to do with being a +2 handicapper then?

Probabably something to do with him being a good golfer. Why not swap irons one day, I'd put money on him still beating you. 😁

At the end of the day, play with what you like but for me golf is challenging enough. I play with a 1 & 2 handicappers and they both use cavity backs of one form or another. Not buckets but something with a bit of forgiveness.
    For me, golf is about playing the best I can and getting my handicap down so why not let the clubs help?
    I mean, you use a 460cc driver designed for maximum forgiveness so why is that different from the irons?
    Last edited by Robster59; 10-Sep-2017 at 09:42.

Challenge Tour Pro

I have just gone back to playing blades in the short clubs simply because I prefer the smaller heads. Given a bit more time to make the decision I may have gone to Pings but I am not a fan of the CSlite shaft. Mizuno gave me the choice of whatever shaft I wanted without any extra charge.

Thanks Nick, it's fun to be back seeing the same old names thrashing it out on here. How's the golf going?
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com