Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: Solo player behind you. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by mashleyR7 View Post
    It amazes me that this is even a question, ask him to join, if he says no, step aside and let him play on. I can't imagine a scenario that would be any different.
    i agree. its a shame this even has to be discussed

Thanks folks. Glad I seem to be in the majority of those who thinks this is a daft thread.

Got up the notion of a round today after chucking the clubs in the cupboard for the past few weeks only to be stopped after one hole after 3 members went for option d.

Tour Rookie

I find if ur waiting on the tee and you ask to play through people who refuse are too much of a wuss to actually say no to your face so just cave .. only ignore you if u let them

Quote Originally Posted by virtuocity View Post
    Thanks folks. Glad I seem to be in the majority of those who thinks this is a daft thread.

Got up the notion of a round today after chucking the clubs in the cupboard for the past few weeks only to be stopped after one hole after 3 members went for option d.
    Maybe they'd heard about you
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Depends who that solo player was

B then A

Got stuck behind a 4-ball a few weeks ago as a solo player. Tee'd off about an 1.5 hours after them and caught them up after 5 holes. On the 6th tee they were just going back to their carts to put their clubs away when I walked up to the tee box. They took one look at me got in their carts and then proceeded to rush every shot after that. They quite clearly had no intention of letting me play through and would prefer to rush their shots to try and keep ahead. An hour later I walked off after 9, yes 1 hour to play 4 holes for a 4-ball. So basically tehy were easily looking at playing at a 5+ hour round.

I spoke to the pro about it and he said that they always get complaints about them not letting people through and at times have to send someone out onto the course to speak with them. Apparently one of the ladies is married to some bigwig lawyer and lives in the biggest house on the course so she thinks she owns the place and can do what ever she wants.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Normally B then A, but depends on whether or not the solo person is one of the club's a-holes... if he is, then option A only. If he declines then tough chookies, he had his chance and he can wait.
    Pumpherston Golf Club

In The Bag

(Driver) Taylormade Aeroburner 12deg
    (3-wood) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 15deg
    (5-wood) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 18deg
    (Hybrid) Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21deg
    (Irons) PING Karsten 5-SW Green Dot, PING Tour 58deg
    (Putter) PING Sigma G Tyne
    (Balls) Taylormade RBZ Stage2

I'd invite to play through and maybe join us depending on the circumstances.
    However, if I was the single player I would make sure I didn't quite catch up with the 3 ball ahead. Maybe it's just me but I don't feel right about standing by the tee as the group ahead are playing if they are not playing slow. On the odd occasion I play solo and it's happened I usually find not being too aggressive usually works and they call you through at the first opportunity.
    intolerance will not be tolerated

Q-School Graduate

Depends on their speed really, I very often play on my own, I'm also quite a quick player and catch groups up fast, I never ask to go through, if I'm invited to play through then I'll either accept or decline depending on my intentions, no point in me going through on the 9th or 10th if I'm only playing the front 11 and if I'm playing 18 and I'm on the 14th or 15th then I'm chilling out at that point so will be quite happy to mosey along behind for the last few holes...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Q-School Graduate

Ask them if they want to join or go through.

I often play on my own when I want to practice, if there is nobody behind me I often decline either as the extra time is spent practicing rather than waiting.

Sometimes if asked to go through I will do as much as possible to get out of their way as quickly as possible eg not bother with putting.