Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Solo player behind you. What do you do?

one the whole let a single though straight away, but not a couple of guys at my club. Who both have a habit of holding up a 4 ball as a single, so either of them, not a chance
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Money List Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Ask them if they want to join or go through.

I often play on my own when I want to practice, if there is nobody behind me I often decline either as the extra time is spent practicing rather than waiting.

Sometimes if asked to go through I will do as much as possible to get out of their way as quickly as possible eg not bother with putting.
    Same here, when I go out alone at certain times I'm not expecting to fly round and don't like to play right up behind anyone so will happily kill some time chipping or putting before moving to the next tee. The problems arise when there's a group behind pushing you so you can't do that, then I'd prefer to be let through at the first opportunity.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.4

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    First I would invite him to join us to make a fourball

If he declined I would then invite him to go through

Why - well the first is good manners and something that should be encouraged and the second bit is just good plain old etiquette and taking notice of pace of play regulations within the rules
    This.....
    Driver - Callaway XR 2016
    Hybrid - 22 Callaway XR
    3,5 & 7 wood - Callaway XR
    Irons currently - Ping G10 - Soon to be Titleist AP1's courtesy of GM and Titleist
    Scotty squareback

If he is playing faster than you/me then invite him through.......its simple and is the R & A words.

It is a group’s responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If they lose a clear hole and delay the group behind, they should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, they should also invite the faster moving group to overtake them.
    Practice, you only get out what you put in, but I'm having second thoughts. In my bag this week Callaway driver, 3 and 5 wood. Titleist 909 21 degree utility, Titleist 909 19 degree utility with TM Vsteel 5 wood shaft, Srixon Z 745/945 irons Nippon shafts, Vokey 200 series wedges 50 and 58. Odyssey works cruiser putter, Prov1x, HC 5.
    www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
    www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk

Both a & b.

Invite him thorugh, " or join us if you want"?

a - he has priority, clearly quicker than youm why wouldnt you?
    a&b - he may be time restricted, he may not like playing/socializing with strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    will happily kill some time chipping or putting before moving to the next tee.
    Makes sense. We're not allowed to do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by virtuocity View Post
    Makes sense. We're not allowed to do that though.
    It's about time you were on the council / committee
    handicap 15.5

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo21 View Post
    If he is playing faster than you/me then invite him through.......its simple and is the R & A words.

It is a group’s responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If they lose a clear hole and delay the group behind, they should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, they should also invite the faster moving group to overtake them.
    Since when was a single person a "group". Has the word "group" been used deliberately to exclude a single player?
    Taylormade M1 9˝°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    Since when was a single person a "group". Has the word "group" been used deliberately to exclude a single player?
    You would need to ask the R n A, but it does say irrespective of how many. Besides that, who would want to hold up a faster single player.
    Practice, you only get out what you put in, but I'm having second thoughts. In my bag this week Callaway driver, 3 and 5 wood. Titleist 909 21 degree utility, Titleist 909 19 degree utility with TM Vsteel 5 wood shaft, Srixon Z 745/945 irons Nippon shafts, Vokey 200 series wedges 50 and 58. Odyssey works cruiser putter, Prov1x, HC 5.
    www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
    www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk

Assistant Pro

100% let him through if space in front 👍
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)**/** 2016: 12.0 > 8.1: **/** 2017: 8.1 > 7.?:**