Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winter is coming!

Had our weekly club comp today, turned up and had a sign stating it was preferred lies on the fairway! We have had quite a lot of rain the past 2 weeks in NI and the course just cant keep up. Today we had rain for most of the morning but the remainder of the day was pretty warm (for NI) sunshine.

I did think this was really early for preferred lies, cannot remember a time we had them before the season ended.

Hopefully there will be another dry spell or the course will be a state for winter.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Re: Winter is coming!

I hope we're a long way from winter but a distinct nip in the air. Horrific showers and a thunderstorm this afternoon and the rough now very thick but the greens beginning to hold again. Dark around 7.30 though. Winter definitely coming

Head Pro

Played this afternoon and waterlogged fairways - balls plugged on landing on greens - then the heavens opened and dark when I got back and it wasn't even 7pm

Challenge Tour Pro

Its been winter up here in Cumbria for weeks. My home track is a bog and will be like that until next summer now.....
    Callaway XR 9°
    Ping Anser 14.5°
    Srixon Z U45 18°
    Srixon Z 745 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 50°, 56°, 60°
    Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider

Hcap - 4

I played today and while the weather was really beautiful, there is a certain chill in the air, especially in the early morning, and the first leaves start to appear on the fairways, making it difficult to spot the ball against the lower standing sun. So, I wouldn't talk of "winter" yet, but cannot deny a very autumnal feeling. Days are starting to be much shorter as well, which is actually my biggest issue with the autumn and winter months. I don't mind dressing slightly warmer or taking my brollie. But I hate it that I don't get to play or practice during the week at all, because there just is not enough daylight left after work.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I played today and while the weather was really beautiful, there is a certain chill in the air, especially in the early morning, and the first leaves start to appear on the fairways, making it difficult to spot the ball against the lower standing sun. So, I wouldn't talk of "winter" yet, but cannot deny a very autumnal feeling. Days are starting to be much shorter as well, which is actually my biggest issue with the autumn and winter months. I don't mind dressing slightly warmer or taking my brollie. But I hate it that I don't get to play or practice during the week at all, because there just is not enough daylight left after work.
    Winter is definitely here in Northern Ireland, as soon as it is preferred lies, that is winter for me! The darker nights absolute kill me, I swear it doesn't get light this quick during the spring!! Getting dark before 8 here now, really feels like a few weeks ago it was light until 10! We had a good winter last year and I believe we were only closed 1 weekend. Hopefully it is another good year, but with the way its started, i can't see that happening!
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Money List Winner

Not sure that winter ever left from last year. Have deffo made my mind up that my next major investment is a waterproof cart bag. Been using my winter carry bag thought the summer and there just is not enough room for all waterproofs, jumpers etc etc.
    I was on about this today coming over saddleworth moor this afternoon. The ground is already drenched ( with more to come this week ) it is not going hold much more and there will be some serious flooding this winter.

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Todays final game of our county summer league was called off yesterday as our opponents course is waterlogged.
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

Head Pro

Time to invest in a few decent jumpers and water proof jacket!

Assistant Pro

Very autumnal this weekend, much colder and plenty of leaves off the trees.
    And rain.
    Lots of rain.