Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Ryder Cup Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,828

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    Mens/Scratch/Ladies/Juniors/Veterans should make no difference, all should be afforded the same respect and courtesy

    Sadly this isn't always the case
    Indeed. I doubt there would have been the same level of moaning had it been a men's team match.

    On several occasions I've been in the first group in a team match and waited on almost every shot for men in front who I dare say would never have done that to the men's scratch team.

    Golf has a long way to go to eradicate such sexist attitudes.

  2. #12

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Irrelevant of whether I'm playing in a comp, match, social game.
    I let any group through regardless of sex or age if they are faster than thou.
    And that's how it should be.

  3. #13
    Money List Winner ScienceBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,710

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrown View Post
    Irrelevant of whether I'm playing in a comp, match, social game.
    I let any group through regardless of sex or age if they are faster than thou.
    And that's how it should be.
    100% agree, competition or not, if your faster and will move on ahead into a gap then your going through. Has to be a gap or slower groups ahead to go through, unless we are just painfully slow and will help ease some tension.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

    Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

    Three Goals Method- My Game plan

  4. #14

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Just been down to the club and found out a few more details to answer some of the comments posted.

    The final fourball teed off at around 9.40am and finished at 3.15. 5 hours 35 minutes.
    It is not a private club - it is one of the Crown group where "the club" has playing rights on the course.
    All of the women players were loudly complaining afterwards about being pressured from behind with an attitude of "we were in a match so we had total priority".

    It is the latter comment that is drawing the most ire. Just because you are playing a match that is important in your own little world does not give you the right to ruin everyone else's game behind you.

  5. #15
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    salford
    Posts
    6,606

    Re: Ladies match issue

    over five and a half hours is inexcusable,
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

    Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

    2018 <11.6>11.0

    http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

  6. #16
    Major Champion Foxholer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wasting away again in Margaritaville
    Posts
    18,336

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    Just been down to the club and found out a few more details to answer some of the comments posted.

    The final fourball teed off at around 9.40am and finished at 3.15. 5 hours 35 minutes.
    It is not a private club - it is one of the Crown group where "the club" has playing rights on the course.
    All of the women players were loudly complaining afterwards about being pressured from behind with an attitude of "we were in a match so we had total priority".

    It is the latter comment that is drawing the most ire. Just because you are playing a match that is important in your own little world does not give you the right to ruin everyone else's game behind you.
    Ever considered that the entire team match may have been held up by P&P groups in front?

    5hr 30 isn't unusual, at times, for some Crown courses!!

    And you still haven't resolved whether the claim of 'total priority' was correct or not! That's something that needs to be determined before any criticism is made!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

    Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

  7. #17
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,630

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
    Is the fact that they were ladies relevant?
    I've played at multiple clubs where if you tee off after the alloted ladies slot then your not getting through plain and simple. seems common amongst the clubs I've played that women refuse to let the men through

  8. #18
    Money List Winner AmandaJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    5,742

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Indeed. I doubt there would have been the same level of moaning had it been a men's team match.

    On several occasions I've been in the first group in a team match and waited on almost every shot for men in front who I dare say would never have done that to the men's scratch team.

    Golf has a long way to go to eradicate such sexist attitudes.
    Yep - it's tiring to be honest and frustrating - one reason I play less golf these days...

  9. #19
    Ryder Cup Winner Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Gallardos
    Posts
    12,359

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    Just been down to the club and found out a few more details to answer some of the comments posted.

    The final fourball teed off at around 9.40am and finished at 3.15. 5 hours 35 minutes.
    It is not a private club - it is one of the Crown group where "the club" has playing rights on the course.
    All of the women players were loudly complaining afterwards about being pressured from behind with an attitude of "we were in a match so we had total priority".

    It is the latter comment that is drawing the most ire. Just because you are playing a match that is important in your own little world does not give you the right to ruin everyone else's game behind you.
    If I teed off behind a match I wouldn't expect to get through, nor would I pressure them by playing close up behind them. If invited through I'd politely decline - there's no point in going through when there's x number of matches in front of them. Equally, if I was in a match I'd be disappointed to be chased. If playing slowly for whatever reason I'd offer the group behind to go through.

    5.5 hours is too long, and a politely worded letter to the team captain might be as far as I'd expect the club to go. Representative matches from ladies, gents, juniors, rabbits etc are part of the fabric of the game, and I respect that.
    Give it big humpties

  10. #20
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Worcester Park
    Posts
    6,174

    Re: Ladies match issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    If I teed off behind a match I wouldn't expect to get through, nor would I pressure them by playing close up behind them. If invited through I'd politely decline - there's no point in going through when there's x number of matches in front of them. Equally, if I was in a match I'd be disappointed to be chased. If playing slowly for whatever reason I'd offer the group behind to go through.

    5.5 hours is too long, and a politely worded letter to the team captain might be as far as I'd expect the club to go. Representative matches from ladies, gents, juniors, rabbits etc are part of the fabric of the game, and I respect that.
    Sums it up nicely for me. As an aside, Mrs BiM asked what I was posting about; I gave her the brief circumstances and her immediate comment was "Surely if you're that slow you should let people through?"………..

    Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Indeed. I doubt there would have been the same level of moaning had it been a men's team match.

    On several occasions I've been in the first group in a team match and waited on almost every shot for men in front who I dare say would never have done that to the men's scratch team.

    Golf has a long way to go to eradicate such sexist attitudes.
    Having been on the wrong end of a completely unjustified mouthful from ladies who had chosen to go off early behind a club 4 ball match I can assure you that it cuts both ways Karen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Sunday Trading: Huge Savings On Golf Shoes!

In the market for a new pair of golf shoes? You're in the right place!

June 24, 2018

54 Common Golf Questions You Asked Google… Answered

Here we take a look at some of the most common golf questions asked on Google using their auto-correct system

June 22, 2018

Greg Norman Poses Nude For ESPN Body Issue

The Great White Shark has got his kit off for ESPN's Body Issue

June 22, 2018

What Tour Players Splash Their Cash On

With millions in the bank, what do pro golfers spend their money on?

June 21, 2018

Play in the BMW Golf Cup International at Woburn

Golf Monthly readers are being offered the exclusive opportunity to play in the Regional Final for the BMW Golf Cup International over the superb Marquess Course at Woburn with a chance to go on and compete in the National and World Finals in St Andrews and Mexico.

June 21, 2018