Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ladies match issue

Disclaimer at the start - I was not at the club that day and have no involvement!

Last Thursday, our ladies played a friendly match against another club. Six four balls went off at 9.02am. The last groups were coming in around five and a half hours later and they had flat out refused multiple times to let anyone through at any time in spite of there being gaps between the matches. They then went and complained to the GM about being "hassled from behind" by various groups, several of whom had walked in because of the slow play.

The Rules of golf state that a group should let a faster match through if there is a gap.

So the $64K question, should they have done it? And what should happen now?

I'll sit back with my popcorn on this one (a phrase repeated verbatim by the pro when he heard about it)

Re: Ladies match issue

Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    The Rules of golf state that a group should let a faster match through if there is a gap.
    No they don't!

As for the actual circumstances...

Many team matches don't allow/permit following groups through! It's a pretty common practice in fact. This generally overrides the Etiquette that faster groups should be let through. Groups that have the potential to encounter team matches should be warned of the possibility.

So both 'sides' are likely to have valid reasons to moan.
    Last edited by Foxholer; 09-Sep-2017 at 15:07.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Money List Winner

So presumably if the first went out at 9.02 I would guess the last went out about a hour later, so if the came in 5 and a half hours after the first group went out, it only actually took them 4 and a half hours, which is a little on the long side for a 4 ball but hardly shockingly long.

I have played in ladies 4 ball events and inevitably as soon as the last group have teed off there are men waiting to go out, which is fair enough but surely they cant expect to be let through. putting the boot on the other foot, if it was a men's match holding people up would they let them through?

Would there have been moaning if it had been a men's match?

Surely a match of any type or a competition would have priority over social games.
    WS DXi Superlight Driver
    WS Fybrid RS 17°
    WS Fybrid RS 23°
    WS Fybrid RS 26°
    Orka GS5 CTi irons 5-SW
    Titliest Vokey 52/8, 56/8
    Odyssey Works 2ball Fang

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6
    2017 11.6>10.7

My golf blog http://louisesgolfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Is the fact that they were ladies relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    Disclaimer at the start - I was not at the club that day and have no involvement!

Last Thursday, our ladies played a friendly match against another club. Six four balls went off at 9.02am. The last groups were coming in around five and a half hours later and they had flat out refused multiple times to let anyone through at any time in spite of there being gaps between the matches. They then went and complained to the GM about being "hassled from behind" by various groups, several of whom had walked in because of the slow play.

So the $64K question, should they have done it? And what should happen now?

I'll sit back with my popcorn on this one (a phrase repeated verbatim by the pro when he heard about it)
    Can't have been a very "friendly" match if they're taking around 4hrs 40 mins to finish - No gimmees!!??
    (Although the time is dependent on how long a fourball usually takes at the OP's club.)

Assistant Pro

Sounds a bit embarrasing for the home club and not showing them in a good light

Matches, especially 4-balls, should be given a little bit of breathing space

There should be a buffer (half hour or so) behind them to prevent this problem / and or the groups behind should be forewarned and asked for their patience and understanding

If the matches are taking too long then this can be discussed & addressed subsequently at the relevant meetings etc (not with confrontations/frayed tempers on the course in front of visiting teams)

From the OP it's unclear if it was 5.5 hours for the overall match from start to finish (acceptable) or 5.5 hours for each group (unacceptable)

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by louise_a View Post
    So presumably if the first went out at 9.02 I would guess the last went out about a hour later, so if the came in 5 and a half hours after the first group went out, it only actually took them 4 and a half hours, which is a little on the long side for a 4 ball but hardly shockingly long.

I have played in ladies 4 ball events and inevitably as soon as the last group have teed off there are men waiting to go out, which is fair enough but surely they cant expect to be let through. putting the boot on the other foot, if it was a men's match holding people up would they let them through?

Would there have been moaning if it had been a men's match?

Surely a match of any type or a competition would have priority over social games.
    You've said exactly what I would have said Louise. Would hazard a guess that the answer to the bit I've bolded would be no.
    Handicap Challenge: chellie 22.7 v Marshy77 26.5

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chellie View Post
    You've said exactly what I would have said Louise. Would hazard a guess that the answer to the bit I've bolded would be no.
    Mens/Scratch/Ladies/Juniors/Veterans should make no difference, all should be afforded the same respect and courtesy

Sadly this isn't always the case

Not sure why they would be going in and complaining to the GM. Seems very petty.

Either keep up with pace of play or let people through.
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

If the club has got an inter club match arranged then they should keep the tee clear for 30 mins after like has already been said, same for any comps IMO. But on the other hand even if you are playing a competitive match and your falling behind the pace of play you should either pick up the pace or let people through.. After all this game is built around etiquette and just because you are playing a competitive match, it doesn't give you the right to hold the course up. Then again on the flip side if your going out in a 2-ball behind a golf match then you just need to accept that it is gonna be a long day.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com