Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,822

    THe size of Hurricane Irma

    Just looking at the devastation caused by hurricane Irma online and saw an image where the size of it had been overlaid, give or take a few miles it's nigh as dammit 400 miles in diameter, with the main eye around 100miles diameter.

    I had a thought, what if Irma was placed directly over the UK centre, which according to various online sources is Whitendale Hanging Rocks, approx. 13 miles east of Morcambe.

    With the eye being 100miles or so, from that centre the Lake District and Blackpool would be wiped out, with 175mph winds hitting as far south as Blackburn and east nearly to Leeds, but with the whole hurricane being 400miles wide, 200miles north level with Seahouses, East into the North Sea, West into the Irish Sea and south nearly to Birmingham.

    That is never going to happen and it is just assuming it appeared over the centre of the UK, if it tracked in from the Atlantic and followed the path of the deep low depressions we do get then pretty much all of the UK would be wiped out, or at the very least suffer major damage.

    Not so much a topic of conversation, just a general observation, that no matter how bad the weather gets here, the poor souls in the path of Irma are getting a magnitude worse.
    If you've been smoking something you shouldn't and you see something that walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, then it's probably a dog or a bag of peas.

  2. #2
    Tour Winner Dan2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,679

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma



    Pretty scary comparison showing the largest hurricane Florida had ever seen vs Irma.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

    Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

    Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

    Handicap: 12

    Lancaster GC

  3. #3
    Major Champion Foxholer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wasting away again in Margaritaville
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    ...
    I had a thought, what if Irma was placed directly over the UK centre, which according to various online sources is Whitendale Hanging Rocks, approx. 13 miles east of Morcambe.

    With the eye being 100miles or so, from that centre the Lake District and Blackpool would be wiped out, with 175mph winds hitting as far south as Blackburn and east nearly to Leeds, but with the whole hurricane being 400miles wide, 200miles north level with Seahouses, East into the North Sea, West into the Irish Sea and south nearly to Birmingham.
    ...
    FWIW. The eye of a hurricane is relatively calm! So that 100 mile diameter area would not be being as badly blown about as the areas outside it. Of course, in reality, the area now in the eye would have been taking a beating as the storm moved over it!

    While I've experienced 80-90+ mph winds a few times, the 150mph+ winds of this storm is something that's virtually incomprehensible!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

    Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

  4. #4
    Ryder Cup Winner Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Gallardos
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    Don't worry Dave. If it hit Wickham it would do about £2,000,000 worth of improvements.
    Give it big humpties

  5. #5

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    I have a ton of connections to the Tampa area and my Facebook account is full of updates from friends out there. This is one serious mother of a storm coming in. I was there for Hurricane Georges in 1998 and that was a mild zephyr compared to this one. Unless you've been out there during a hurricane, you really have no idea how serious it is. The one thing I will say is that the Florida authorities know what they are doing. They cannot legislate for stupidity but they do prepare as properly as you possibly can.

  6. #6
    Ryder Cup Winner Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Gallardos
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    I have a ton of connections to the Tampa area and my Facebook account is full of updates from friends out there. This is one serious mother of a storm coming in. I was there for Hurricane Georges in 1998 and that was a mild zephyr compared to this one. Unless you've been out there during a hurricane, you really have no idea how serious it is. The one thing I will say is that the Florida authorities know what they are doing. They cannot legislate for stupidity but they do prepare as properly as you possibly can.
    I have an American golfing buddy living in Miami. He wanted to evacuate a few days back but his better half wanted to stay. He's boarded everything, after getting in supplies. Fingers crossed for everyone there.
    Give it big humpties

  7. #7
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    FWIW. The eye of a hurricane is relatively calm! So that 100 mile diameter area would not be being as badly blown about as the areas outside it. Of course, in reality, the area now in the eye would have been taking a beating as the storm moved over it!

    While I've experienced 80-90+ mph winds a few times, the 150mph+ winds of this storm is something that's virtually incomprehensible!
    The eye of the storm is, as you write relatively calm, what I meant was that the eye is roughly 100miles wide and the winds at the edge of the eye are where the most severe hurricane winds will be.
    If you've been smoking something you shouldn't and you see something that walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, then it's probably a dog or a bag of peas.

  8. #8
    Money List Winner MadAdey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina.
    Posts
    5,538

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    The big problem isn't the wind, it's the storm surge. When your gonna have the sea level raise by over 12 foot, then you put the waves on top of it you can end up with 25 foot high swells. Imagine that sort of level hitting the UK, a lot of the coast line would be under several feet of water.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

  9. #9
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    409

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    Have been fortunate enough to travel to fort Myers beach for the last few years in south Florida and have got to know a load of the residents in the condo block where we stay - the whole island has been told to evacuate and everyone has left - they were one of the last to get out and said it was sad and scary - took them 12 hours to do a 3 hour journey out of the state - they are worried that it is going to hit them like it did the island of Grenada all those years ago - my thoughts are with them

  10. #10
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,939

    Re: THe size of Hurricane Irma

    I'm in Orlando now having travelled up from Miami on Friday, it's not pleasant out there and everyone is rightly on edge. Hopefully it passes with the minimum of disruption but we are just about guaranteed power outage on Monday am and disruption but we'll just have to see what develops.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Matt Wallace What’s In The Bag?

What clubs did Matt Wallace use to win his third European Tour title in Germany?

June 25, 2018

Bubba Watson What’s In The Bag?

Here we take a look at the Ping gear used by Bubba Watson to win his 12th PGA Tour title at the Travelers Championship

June 25, 2018

Bubba Watson wins Travelers Championship

Bubba Watson fired a closing round of 63 to come from six shots behind and win the Travelers Championship at TPC River Highlands for a third time.

June 25, 2018

Matt Wallace wins BMW International Open

England’s Matt Wallace fired a closing round of 65 at Golf Club Gut Laerchenhof to win the BMW International Open by a shot from Martin Kaymer, Mikko Korhonen and Thorbjorn Olesen.

June 25, 2018

Sunday Trading: Huge Savings On Golf Shoes!

In the market for a new pair of golf shoes? You're in the right place!

June 24, 2018