Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swindle

Club Champion

Swindle

Apologies for the quite possibly stupid question but have seen the term 'swindle' used a lot on here in terms of games and have no idea what it is - it is similar to a roll-up but has slightly different rules?

Journeyman Pro

Re: Swindle

Both the same in that it's a friendly non club competition often played by the same crowd for a few shillings. Sometimes the group will run their own swindle/ roll up handicaps
    Last edited by anotherdouble; 08-Sep-2017 at 15:36.

My old Club called the Saturday comp during the Winter "The Swindle".... each region and club and groups within clubs will have variations on a theme!

Bit like "bounce game"... never heard of it other than on golf forums... is it Scottish/Northern? (I think its a friendly game between mates!) But I might be wrong!

....and you'll have to explain "shillings" to the young'uns!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Patster1969 View Post
    Apologies for the quite possibly stupid question but have seen the term 'swindle' used a lot on here in terms of games and have no idea what it is - it is similar to a roll-up but has slightly different rules?
    It is in effect just a 'roll up'. But like some roll ups, the form of play varies from club to club. It could be skins, 2 from 3, 3 from 4 etc.

Most have handicaps determined by results or winnings over time (strictly non CONGU).
    They are often run by a one man committee who sets the rules and rewards. Which is why they are called swindles

It's where one person swindles everyone else out of their hard earnt loose change

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post

Bit like "bounce game"... never heard of it other than on golf forums... is it Scottish/Northern? (I think its a friendly game between mates!) But I might be wrong!

....and you'll have to explain "shillings" to the young'uns!
    I have always known it's use and I live in South England

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    I have always known it's use and I live in South England

I grew up in Surrey...played in Wilts for 20 years too and never came across it ..........but is really widely used as we see on here.
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    I grew up in Surrey...played in Wilts for 20 years too and never came across it ..........but is really widely used as we see on here.
    Swindles are usually groups of golfers going out and playing for a few quid. Our club has a number of swindles on different days and times and they are a great wat for new members to get integrated into the club and meet some members to play with

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Swindles are usually groups of golfers going out and playing for a few quid. Our club has a number of swindles on different days and times and they are a great wat for new members to get integrated into the club and meet some members to play with
    This ^^^

Roll-up, swindle, fiddle, greedy - all the same thing. Great way for new members to get involved. Depending on day, weather, time of year, we can have anything from 15 to 35 turn up.

And like someone said, nearly always organised by one person. Our recently retired (deposed??) leader always said "can't run these things by committee. It needs a dictator. Look what happened to Yugoslavia after Tito. It all fell apart."
    Handicap Challenge - 18.5 (5 sept)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

I only know the term thanks to the forum, to me it's a fiddle.
    Ping G30 driver // Cobra Amp 3 wood // Hybrids - Amp Cell and Ping G5
    Cobra Amp Cell irons // Trusty Rusty & Vokey wedges // TM Ghost Spider putter
    @merv_swerve - Newark GC