Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tour Rookie

Re: Stronger lofts even Mizuno are at it now

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Does it really matter ? As long as you know how far you hit each club it's irrelevant the number on the bottom.
    I think it does matter, yes. Well clearly it does to some people. My own view differs from many on here but i firmly think that there should be a standard for each loft. A small range perhaps so not entirely fixed. Golf is for the club player not the small minority on here. I know that differs from your point of view and that's fine. Would make it a whole heap simpler i think.

Recent experience: I was fitted for a set of irons last week. The data showed that the new/fitted 6i was 12y longer than my current one. Dispersion was only marginally improved if at all. I was surprised by the data. Intrigued by this thread I have looked at the specs for both clubs:

Old 6i: Loft 28deg, shaft length 37.25"
    New 6i: Loft 26deg, shaft length 37.875" (incl. 0.25" added during fitting)

For interest:
    Old 5i: Loft 25deg, shaft length 37.75"

So the more valid comparison would clearly have been my old 5 iron, which almost certainly takes away completely any apparent distance increase. Luckily I wont be buying the clubs.

If distance gains form any part of your buying rationale, it makes sense to study closely the lofts and shaft lengths in order that you can be sure you are comparing like with like. Essentially you need to ignore the number on the club.

It would be more useful (and honest!) if clubs had their loft engraved alongside their number.

I am still contemplating loft v launch angle. If there is more to launch angle than loft - given the same shaft in each case - then I suspect that this becomes the true fixed point for comparison. In other words, you can only compare carry distances for clubs generating equal launch angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    What are the lofts of the new Mizzy irons?
    If the 5 irons are around 25 then the 4s will be 21, 3s @18 etc etc....

It is daft though...a 2 iron at 16 - 1 iron @ 12?
    That's like John Daly's Zero iron from way back when.....
    I think the blade and the SC have traditional lofts the one with the titanium insert are much stronger though so would fit easily with these.

can't see they they didn't just call the 16 deg, 19 deg ect, rather than 2 and 3 iron. I'm looking for a 2 iron not a 1 simple as
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

I think it's just crazy how the companies are lowering lofts to claim they have the longest hitting irons on hte market. Look at the TM M2 irons, the PW is 43.5*, my first real set as a kid was the Mizzy TP9, that wedge was 50* I have nod doubt I could hit the TM PW 20 yards further, but then again it is 6.58 stronger.

I want a 2i back in the bag to use off the tee box and very tempted to get a TM M1 3i as it has 18* loft. Also thinking about the EPIC or SteelHead XR as they too have an 18* 3i and from what I have seen on reviews like Rick Shiels they are all very easy to hit.
    Last edited by MadAdey; 09-Sep-2017 at 18:28.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    My own take is simple. Irrespective of make, go out and learn your distances for your own game ideally using real balls. My own preference is hitting off grass too but using a launch monitor would suffice. It's all about your own game and makes no difference if you hit a different, lower numbered club into a hole as long as you're hitting target
    Exactly 🏌️
    Cobra King F6 10.5* regular
    Cobra King F6 14.5* 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 Wood Project X
    Callaway XR 22* 4hybrid Project X
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 5 Iron Orochi Red Eye
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 6 Iron Orochi Red Eye
    Adams Blue 7-PW regular
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB Black Pearl 48/52/56 Wedges
    Bettinardi Kutcher Model 1 Putter
    Bridgestone, Callaway, Nike, Srixon, TM, Titleist, Vice, Wilson balls
    Motocaddy S1 Lite & bag

Challenge Tour Pro

The main thing these days is knowing what you are buying.

My last set, bought late last year, was only 6-PW after checking the lofts before buying.

There is no point in buying clubs in that you cannot hit well because of loft and length.

You can see how crazy the lofts are getting now by the way a lot of manufacturers are offering an AW that matches the set because the PW is so strong.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com