Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Stronger lofts even Mizuno are at it now

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    not sure they are, same shafts smaller head on the new ones with less Parameter weighting then the 2015 model.

but even if what you say is true why call it a 2 iron when its a 1, why not just say 16 deg 19 deg etc?
    What are the lofts of the new Mizzy irons?
    If the 5 irons are around 25 then the 4s will be 21, 3s @18 etc etc....

It is daft though...a 2 iron at 16 - 1 iron @ 12?
    That's like John Daly's Zero iron from way back when.....
    Epic 10
    Fusion 3w 15
    Big Bertha 5w 19
    Big Bertha 4h 22
    CF 16 5-PW
    Apex GW
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Mizuno need to get with the current trend as I think it is maybe hurting them in the general weekend golfer market. People are obsessed with distance. When I got my irons I tried several sets out and the Mizuno where definitely the shortest hitting, but also had higher lofts than the others I tried. So I was basically testing out a mizuno 6i against other manufactures 6 irons with the loft of a Mizuno 5i. Some people would have dismissed the Mizuno for that, I didn't because I have no interest in willy waving by hitting the shortest club.

I'm a Mizuno iron player through and through and yes I can't wait for the 15th so I can go and try out the new FliHi irons. I really miss not having a 2i and will be getting the 3i with the 2i loft and that god damn rescue club of mine is going on ebay.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Tour Rookie

It's all a bit silly but the only thing that matters is the same thing as what has always mattered, how far YOU can hit each club. Not bothered one bit what number is on the bottom.
    : TM M2: TM V-Steel 13*: Titleist 910 21*: Cleveland 588cb 4-PW: Callaway MD3 52/8 & 58/9: Ping Redwood AnswerH/C 5

Challenge Tour Pro

I've got Mizuno 900 Tours.

There equipment aimed at the 'better' golfer still uses the sort of lofts that have been around since the late 90s (still less loft than early 90s clubs)

The loft on the 7 iron is 34 degree compared to the loft of 30 degrees on a TM M2 Tour 7 iron.

However the loft on the Mizuno 900 7 iron forged is 31.

Medal Winner

The number on the club younhit is now practically irrelevant to what it used to be. I have recently went back to my set that are 23 years old and they go nowhere as the lofts are so far removed. They feel amazing though
    My ego has just had to get used to using a 7 iron when others are hitting 9

Does it really matter ? As long as you know how far you hit each club it's irrelevant the number on the bottom.

My own take is simple. Irrespective of make, go out and learn your distances for your own game ideally using real balls. My own preference is hitting off grass too but using a launch monitor would suffice. It's all about your own game and makes no difference if you hit a different, lower numbered club into a hole as long as you're hitting target

I guess it does make a difference at the end of the range. Perhaps a set with "modern lofts" should now include a 10-iron? If it doesn't, you'll end up needing a wedge with appropriate loft. Have sales of 46deg wedges picked up since clubs have been made with such stronger lofts? If not, why not?

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
    I guess it does make a difference at the end of the range. Perhaps a set with "modern lofts" should now include a 10-iron? If it doesn't, you'll end up needing a wedge with appropriate loft. Have sales of 46deg wedges picked up since clubs have been made with such stronger lofts? If not, why not?
    My Wilson Staff fluid feel (forged muscle backs) from the 1980's have a 10 iron.

Doesn't make any difference to how it works.

Just get the clubs you are happy using and ignore the make, lofts, and other technical stuff
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger man View Post
    It's all a bit silly but the only thing that matters is the same thing as what has always mattered, how far YOU can hit each club. Not bothered one bit what number is on the bottom.
    It's not how far you can, it's how far it's going to go. I can hit an 8 160, just not very often.

Not being pedantic or anything... honest!
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

Three Goals Method- My Game plan