Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Re: How long would you wait on the 10th.

Was there a notice at the start of the round saying the 10th tee was booked for the time you might get there?

On our 9 hole course it's alternate with players starting a round.

We have two tees (first and tenth) and priority is given to those coming off the ninth. As it's outside the pro shop on the rare occasion there is a disagreement it is normally resolved very quickly by the shop staff. Works reasonably well as the members know the score. Had I been the OP I would have been furious and wouldn't be playing there again and would definitely cancel membership and go elsewhere

Tour Rookie

So the club seriously expect people to play the front 9 then wait 1.5 hours to start the second 9??
    Nobody in their right mind is going to do that!
    As has been already said , most 9 hole courses will alternate groups.
    Although this scenario happened to me at castle Stuart. We played the first 3 holes in the sun then the next 6 in the battering rain, when we got to the tenth there was a queue, we stood in the queue when 2 women walked right past everyone and onto their tee and proceeded to set up ready to play, so we asked what was going on and enquired where the queue had come from to be told that people had stopped at the halfway shop due to the rain and had been allocated times to start again at the 10th. So we had played through the lashing rain then were expected to stand and wait for an hour while all the groups that had stopped got priority.
    I'd Never go back there again!

Over an hour that’s mad. I think the club are playing fast & loose with the phrase ‘booking system’

And if players did have to book tees then why would there be a 80 min Q of people at the 10th. Something broke somewhere

I'd wait long enough to slot in alternately, prob about 10-15 mins tops

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    We have two tees (first and tenth) and priority is given to those coming off the ninth. As it's outside the pro shop on the rare occasion there is a disagreement it is normally resolved very quickly by the shop staff. Works reasonably well as the members know the score. Had I been the OP I would have been furious and wouldn't be playing there again and would definitely cancel membership and go elsewhere
    We used to have the same arrangement that those coming round had priority, but it could mean that groups waiting to start on a busy day had to wait quite some time to commence their round, so we changed to dovetailing and that works so much better. I quite often would tee up at 1.30 just as the Wednesday swindle were coming round, we could easily have waited 40 minutes + without the dovetail arrangement.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

At our course, its usually alternating, between 1 new group and 1 old group(who have completed 9). The wait is usually 10 - 15 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbo View Post
    So the club seriously expect people to play the front 9 then wait 1.5 hours to start the second 9??
    Nobody in their right mind is going to do that!
    As has been already said , most 9 hole courses will alternate groups.
    Although this scenario happened to me at castle Stuart. We played the first 3 holes in the sun then the next 6 in the battering rain, when we got to the tenth there was a queue, we stood in the queue when 2 women walked right past everyone and onto their tee and proceeded to set up ready to play, so we asked what was going on and enquired where the queue had come from to be told that people had stopped at the halfway shop due to the rain and had been allocated times to start again at the 10th. So we had played through the lashing rain then were expected to stand and wait for an hour while all the groups that had stopped got priority.
    I'd Never go back there again!
    this is not the same as the OP situation though is it?

Ive played CS many, many times and never waited on the 10th, but not to say it wouldn't happen. Also its a Pay and play course with visitors from all over the world paying a fair whack to play there. The problem you had is the half way hut allows stoppages for food and drink and when we have come across a group that is stopping for food in front of us as we havn't stopped gone straight through. I think its the stop and a half way hut thats the problem you had. we had a similar issue at the Kings at Gleneagles last year. got to one of the tee's with a phone to order food then the next green there was the hut full to the brim no one on the tee and what looked like a long wait ahead. Luckily we carried on as there way hardly any sign of movement otherwise we wouldn't have got round before it got darkTBH
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

We can start on the 1st / 10th or even 16th. As long as there is no one coming down the fairway on the previous hole (for 10th and 16th). We have no booking in place either. Just rock up and wait ( not usually more than 10 minutes, if that!) to get in
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Ha, that is shocking. I would not put up with having an hour's waited added to my round. If they must start some people off the 10th, it should be with the known caveat that you wave through anyone who has started on the 1st and is half way round.
    Last edited by Orikoru; 08-Sep-2017 at 07:48.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

I thought the usual method was to alternate.
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback