Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

the stinger - best shot in golf

Its definitely one of them. I was watching some of tiger's best stinger shots and its sad to say, this shot is fading out.

Maybe they play it a bit more on the European tour but I can't remember the last time I seen it live on the PGA tour.

Is it because its too hard to pull off, the courses don't suit it or the weather doesn't call for it?

I absolutely love seeing the flight on them.

I don't recall seeing any at the open at Hoylake nor the practice day at portstewart this year. Granted the weather didn't really require a low flight that day. The last pro I seen hit one live was olazabal at the Irish open in 2012. 4 iron barely 20 feet in the air. It was magic although he did miss the green left. Lol

Anyway who plays these punchy low flight shots with either driver, wood or iron?

Liverbirdie can hit a cracking punch drive. Peter finch is a fan and practices this type of shot. Finally my mate whos dropped from 12 down to 6 can play a really penetrating long and mid iron. Beautiful to watch.

So, is it an art falling by the way in these times of bomb and gouge golf or is it still being utilized daily by some of you lot and in some far flung corner of Scotland?

NB. Its not really a shot I play. I can hit a low one but not as well as id like. Something to work on over winter at the range. Fun if nothing else.
    Titleist 910 9.5* (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Journeyman Pro

Re: the stinger - best shot in golf

I think this shot is a great weapon to have. I use this shot but I lose the majority right. Something to work on

Check this beauty out from a couple of weeks back. Bit of a 'hipster' golfer and one of my favourite of the up and coming guys yet to make a real breakthrough. unreal shot and gorgeous protracer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcuS4Iz2E1w

Assistant Pro

Presumably the preference is for a high trajectory that lands and stops quickly. The stinger being used if the conditions don't suit.

If a pro feels like they can hit high they will. Given a lot of PGA events have super receptive greens and manicured fairways maybe the pros can just hit it high without having to woory too much.

Agree that it is a loss though, love seeing different kind of shots and how each pro may approach the same shot differently
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC

Hanidcap - Pending (playing off about 10)

In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3

3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid

Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+

Wedges: Ping MB 48, 54, 60 Putter: Yes! Olivia

I could never hit one and certainly wouldn't try one in competition.
    Tiger's stingers were much over rated in my opinion. He used it way too often and usually when he didn't need to. In my view many of Tiger's issues on the course in his later career (not including his injuries) came from trying to hit the ball too hard.
    I get the impression he liked to try to play the stinger and liked the ball flight and so over used it. As the OP says it is rarely needed on the PGA Tour, but Tiger tried it a lot.
    No signature any more as they are now frowned upon. But I do play with these...Ping G30 10.5 TFC 419D reg TM M1 3 wood HL regTM RBZ 4 hybridPing G30 5 - U wedgeCleveland CG16 52 & 58 Black Pearl Tour ZipEvnroll ER5 Hatchback 33"Skycaddie LinxStewart X7 Lithium Remote Dream Machine!

Jimmy Walker can hit a stinger with his driver. Hits it miles too.

Does a thinned 3 iron count? Sore fingers but often a good result.
    Cobra Biocell 1w
    Progen Chromo 3w, 3r and 4r
    Callaway Razr X Forged 4-pw
    Cleveland 588 gw
    Wilson Staff FG Tour lw
    S-Blade Curvewing putter

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    Its definitely one of them. I was watching some of tiger's best stinger shots and its sad to say, this shot is fading out.

Maybe they play it a bit more on the European tour but I can't remember the last time I seen it live on the PGA tour.

Is it because its too hard to pull off, the courses don't suit it or the weather doesn't call for it?

I absolutely love seeing the flight on them.

I don't recall seeing any at the open at Hoylake nor the practice day at portstewart this year. Granted the weather didn't really require a low flight that day. The last pro I seen hit one live was olazabal at the Irish open in 2012. 4 iron barely 20 feet in the air. It was magic although he did miss the green left. Lol

Anyway who plays these punchy low flight shots with either driver, wood or iron?

Liverbirdie can hit a cracking punch drive. Peter finch is a fan and practices this type of shot. Finally my mate whos dropped from 12 down to 6 can play a really penetrating long and mid iron. Beautiful to watch.

So, is it an art falling by the way in these times of bomb and gouge golf or is it still being utilized daily by some of you lot and in some far flung corner of Scotland?

NB. Its not really a shot I play. I can hit a low one but not as well as id like. Something to work on over winter at the range. Fun if nothing else.
    I still hit the "high top" if its windy on 14, and the punched drive on 16, Gaz. BTW the 16th is now OOB left and right, and not a lateral (on the left) now - card wrecker as a par 5.....and some people get tempted.

I'm a 1-iron god now instead of hitting the stinger , but haven't had a chance to play lots of links golf this year, but a 2 over gross at Hillside with the 1 iron and the driver in the bag, would like me trying to have both in the bag.

16 must end people most weeks now. Lol

You should invest in a modern 1 or 2 iron pete. Be easier to hit even for a god like yourself.

Even bubba wanted to watch this one fly.
    Titleist 910 9.5* (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--