Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Club Finals Day

  1. #1
    Tour Winner Crazyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    3,476

    Club Finals Day

    Does your place have one? We do. It's only really for the matchplay heroes, but has caused some grief this year already with some being unable to play of those dates. Apparently this "Finals Days" was only brought in a few years ago (I've got to check this) and I see no real need for it. All the other rounds are sorted by the players why muck about with a finals day?
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

  2. #2
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    417

    Re: Club Finals Day

    My old club had winners of any singles comp, medal for another trophy the following season. Sadly I left so couldn't enter this year 😕
    2018: 5.8 > current 5.3 (year best 4.8)
    2017: 8.1 > 5.8
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)

  3. #3

    Re: Club Finals Day

    Nope.....no finals day.....the Ladies, Seniors and main Club knockouts are all played at different times through the year, matches being arranged by players, at their own convenience, within the "round must by played by" deadlines imposed by the various committees.

    Forcing players to commit to a specific "match must be played on" date is just silly in this day and age when folks have a variety of commitments outside of golf.
    Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

  4. #4
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,049

    Re: Club Finals Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Does your place have one? We do. It's only really for the matchplay heroes, but has caused some grief this year already with some being unable to play of those dates. Apparently this "Finals Days" was only brought in a few years ago (I've got to check this) and I see no real need for it. All the other rounds are sorted by the players why muck about with a finals day?
    Yes, we do and it's a big deal and so it should be imo as they are all Board comps. The Finals date is published in the club dairy and also on all the entry forms for the major knockouts. If you can't play on the Finals date you should not enter. Simples
    Handicap Challenge: chellie 22.7 v BrianM 23.1Handicap Challenge: chellie 22.7 v GG26 24.4

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    39,121

    Re: Club Finals Day

    Quote Originally Posted by chellie View Post
    Yes, we do and it's a big deal and so it should be imo as they are all Board comps. The Finals date is published in the club dairy and also on all the entry forms for the major knockouts. Simples
    If you can't play on the Finals date you should not enter.
    We thought about doing it but because of the reason that if you cant make it dont enter we decided that would be counter productive to getting as many to enter as possible so no finals day - how do you cover if someone is ill or injured or has an emergency or gets called into work.
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

  6. #6
    Money List Winner ScienceBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,700

    Re: Club Finals Day

    Finals day is a bit out dated but a great concept.

    If it works at a club then great but trying to add it at club which hasnt had one could backfire.

    It's nice but not necessary and attendance should not be an every factor.

  7. #7
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE London/Kent
    Posts
    175

    Re: Club Finals Day

    No finals day at our club, but if you let them know when the match is being played, they will close the tee to give you plenty of time to have a few clear holes

  8. #8
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,049

    Re: Club Finals Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    We thought about doing it but because of the reason that if you cant make it dont enter we decided that would be counter productive to getting as many to enter as possible so no finals day - how do you cover if someone is ill or injured or has an emergency or gets called into work.
    As far as I know the numbers of people who enter the knockouts hasn't dwindled. The mixed foursomes knockout had more entries this year than last. The men have to qualify for the foursomes knockout and that days comp is usually oversubscribed. Obviously works well at our club. There will be something in the rules re illness or injury as I know one final match was deferred a couple of years ago due to that.

    I enjoyed playing in our finals day. All matches have a referee plus there were members following the matches around the course.
    Handicap Challenge: chellie 22.7 v BrianM 23.1Handicap Challenge: chellie 22.7 v GG26 24.4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

What Tour Players Splash Their Cash On

With millions in the bank, what do pro golfers spend their money on?

June 21, 2018

Play in the BMW Golf Cup International at Woburn

Golf Monthly readers are being offered the exclusive opportunity to play in the Regional Final for the BMW Golf Cup International over the superb Marquess Course at Woburn with a chance to go on and compete in the National and World Finals in St Andrews and Mexico.

June 21, 2018

Mickelson “Embarrassed And Disappointed” After US Open Penalty

The five-time major winner has revealed that he is embarrassed and disappointed by his episode last week

June 20, 2018

Why Do Golfers Shout Fore?

What is the etymology of this golfing word of warning?

June 20, 2018