Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question This is gonna hurt...

I mentioned on the chipping thread I have a dedicated club I carry for playing off stony ground, rocky/gravely lies etc because I wont risk damage to one of my regular clubs (and an unplayable isn't really warranted because the shot is there to fairly easily recover or advance the ball without further penalty)

The sole is covered in battle scars and because it was a cheap club I'm fine with it getting knocked about. It might sit in the bag for a few rounds totally unused but come the time I need it I'm glad its there

What do you choose to do on this type of poor lie and if choosing to play it then what club do you use?

Do you carry a club for this or never find yourself in any area with stones etc or just use one of your normal clubs and to-hang with the scores/scrapes that'll result

(I get that wear and tear will happen to all the club-heads with finer scratches due to grit etc in the soil, so not thinking my clubs will stay in showroom condition for ever, but that's not what I'm referring to here)

Assistant Pro

Re: This is gonna hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    I mentioned on the chipping thread I have a dedicated club I carry for playing off stony ground, rocky/gravely lies etc because I wont risk damage to one of my regular clubs (and an unplayable isn't really warranted because the shot is there to fairly easily recover or advance the ball without further penalty)

The sole is covered in battle scars and because it was a cheap club I'm fine with it getting knocked about. It might sit in the bag for a few rounds totally unused but come the time I need it I'm glad its there

What do you choose to do on this type of poor lie and if choosing to play it then what club do you use?

Do you carry a club for this or never find yourself in any area with stones etc or just use one of your normal clubs and to-hang with the scores/scrapes that'll result

(I get that wear and tear will happen to all the club-heads with finer scratches due to grit etc in the soil, so not thinking my clubs will stay in showroom condition for ever, but that's not what I'm referring to here)
    My irons are 15 years old now so are battle scarred anyway, so don't really mind to be honest. Trying to preserve their looks at this point is locking the stable door after the horse has bolted
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC

Hanidcap - Pending (playing off about 10)

In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3

3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid

Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+

Wedges: Ping MB 48, 54, 60 Putter: Yes! Olivia

For the sake of a shot, rather than wreck an expensive iron, I'm dropping
    Epic 10
    Fusion 3w 15
    Big Bertha 5w 19
    Big Bertha 4h 22
    CF 16 5-PW
    Apex GW
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Not really an issue on most U.K. courses.

When playing courses that have this issue I just drop as I don't play them often enough to warrant a club for it.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

Three Goals Method- My Game plan

I don't think anywhere I play has areas of stones you could land in, besides the paths where you get a free drop anyway. Even if there was I wouldn't be too worried, my irons aren't exactly top of the range. If they get scratched they get scratched - not too bothered what they look like as long as I can still hit with them.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersoft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    Not really an issue on most U.K. courses.

When playing courses that have this issue I just drop as I don't play them often enough to warrant a club for it.
    Yeah I never thought before but I suppose this is a volcanic island so there's always plenty areas not far offline with all sizes of stones/gravel waiting to add a score onto the sole and all the courses bar one are pretty new so its not as if they stones have had much time to get moved/sink etc

Assistant Pro

My bag at the moment has no 4 or 5 iron but 2xtip 9 irons so glad I'm not the only one. Always use the old one in bunkers full of stones or from paths when a drop option is not a good drop.

Most bad spots are marked as GUR on our course. But if I really do end up on a rock or root or something like that, I don't much bother about my clubs, since they are old and I got them cheap on ebay. (I might bother about my wrists a bit, though, and rather go for a penalty drop regardless).

There was a really hilarious scene in a Rick Shiels and Peter Finch course vlog once, where Pete landed on a paved path, but could not take relief, because it was close to a hedge or something, so he sneeked one of Ricks wedges out of his bag (Rick had just gotten brand new Ben Hogan clubs he was very very fond of at the time) and pretended he wanted to hit the shot with it. Rick tried to wrestle the club away from him and it fell onto the path ... it was a scene straight out of the Muppets Show. Priceless.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60, Odyssey White Hot putter

I have to say it is very rare that I land in an area like this, but have had tree roots etc beneath. I normally just take a club and hit it thin to get it off. Don't want to damage my clubs or damage myself in the process. There was this one time when I was playing at Ardglass and ended up in some rocks (should not have been anywhere near here..). my ball was sitting (on grass) between two rocks which had less than a foot between them, and they stuck up. Was sort of like a channel. For some reason I decided to play the shot and magically I missed the rocks and got the ball out without damaging anything. I have to say I would not do that again...
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Challenge Tour Pro

Mainly comes at our course when you are on a tractor path with a limestone chippings or gravel surface. If I really do not like the area in which I would have to drop the ball I normally just nip the ball of the top of the path using my normal clubs.

I do not mind if I slightly damage the sole as long as I do not damage the face.