Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chipping club

Re: Chipping club

52 but practice to ensure i an equally incompetent with 7-PW l, 56 and 60 too.

Club Champion

Mainly my wedges and 9i, wedges go 50, 9i, PW, SW, 60.

Can normally manage some form of shot out of the combination!

Q-School Graduate

50 degree wedge is my 'go to' club. Used to be 52 but I have played around a lot with what's in the bag this year.

Generally though I will use anything up to a 6 iron.

Money List Winner

When I got back into golf I had five lessons at Lindrick, home of the Ryder cup 57 I think. Anyway Luke gave me a lesson on chipping with differant clubs from 7i - 56 deg. in essence he put a hoop down about 10 yds away. When he set it up I thought I had to get the ball to stay in the hoop. Nope, the lesson was to get the ball to bounce in the hoop and see where it finishes. The differance in the run on from the differant clubs was unreal. Important to know when you do not have much room to play with. It was an excellent lesson in showing how balls can run out. In that sense I have used all clubs from 7 iron to chip/putt to a 48. Tend not to go above that coz I can end up knobbing it.
    Funnily enough a PP said at the weekend my short game inc putting is a single handicappers. Playing off 21 it must mean my long game is off 28 🙁

Q-School Graduate

Have got a 37° chipper (lofted putter type) that I used to use but since changing my irons I now use anything from 7i - SW depending on what obstacle I need to negotiate (bunkers, green-banks etc) but if I had to pick one specific iron it'll be the 8...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

I bought myself a chipper but was still crap so that's now in my cupboard and I've been experimenting on the practice green I have sort of found a method that I feel comfortable with using 7 iron up to 56 wedge

no doubt it'll all go tits up tomorrow when I try it out for real on my works golf day.
    in my bag; all LH Callaway Epic sub zero driver with fujikura pro green x flex shaft, Epic Sub zero 3 wood with fujikura pro green x flex, Mizuno Tour Proven Original blades (3-PW) Cleveland CG15 wedges (52,56,60), Scotty Cameron Del Mar putter, Callaway Chrome soft balls

Assistant Pro

I use maths. To me a 9 iron is 50% carry 50% roll out. 7 iron 35% carry 65% roll out. Etc. adjust for rough and lack of spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrown View Post
    I use maths. To me a 9 iron is 50% carry 50% roll out. 7 iron 35% carry 65% roll out. Etc. adjust for rough and lack of spin.
    7 iron chip & run - providing lie and line suitable is my go to. BUT a nice 60 degree lob shot always seems more impressive

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Fore Right! View Post
    7 iron chip & run - providing lie and line suitable is my go to. BUT a nice 60 degree lob shot always seems more impressive
    Yep, can't beat a good flop-shot, massive air and drop it rite on the button, one of my most frequently used shots and I've lost count of the amount of times I've slam-dunked one, had one t'other day, mid week medal, 2nd green, 2nd shot landed right of green, sand-wedged a floppy up over the bank, it didn't even touch the green stuff, just dropped rite in the cup for a 3 net 2, get in, shame the rest of the round was mediocre to say the least...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

54 degree wedge for me, very rare I use my lob wedge or 50 for anything other than sand and full shots. Did try the whole 8 iron chip and run thing a few times months ago but just wasn't a fan.
    Driver - Taylormade M2 10.5 3 Wood - Taylormade R9 15*3 Hybrid - Callaway RAZR Tour 21* Irons - Titleist AP2 714 4-PW - Wedges - Titleist SM5 50* 54* Mizuno MP-R12 60/06 Putter - Odyssey White Hot XG #1 Ball - Prov1