Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipping club

Assistant Pro

Chipping club

Hi all

Short game needs practice and joined a club with nice practice area

When I was a kid I remember having one club(8 iron) no idea of loft. But I could play a lot of different shots well from around the green. Mainly because of practise in the garden

I am thinking of focusing my practise on one club again

My question is does anybody else use mainly one club and if so what is it?

Thanks

Tour Rookie

Re: Chipping club

Quote Originally Posted by MrC View Post
    Hi all

Short game needs practice and joined a club with nice practice area

When I was a kid I remember having one club(8 iron) no idea of loft. But I could play a lot of different shots well from around the green. Mainly because of practise in the garden

I am thinking of focusing my practise on one club again

My question is does anybody else use mainly one club and if so what is it?

Thanks
    8 Iron is my go to club

today I was using a 58 wedge and having some very good results but when wasnt confident I went back to my 8 iron
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

I used to do chip and runs with the 8 iron actually. Now I use the pitching wedge though - with heel slightly elevated and hitting slightly out of the toe end. Or if I'm in the rough a little further back then the sand wedge.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

7 iron everytime with the bump and run saving me a lot of shots when I'm just off the green / on the fringe, compared to lofted clubs or the putter where I always struggle with my speed when putting through anything longer than the grass on the putting surface !

GBC

Assistant Pro

I own a 37 degree chipper. Fantastic club.

I mainly use my lob wedge and can play every kind of shot I need to with it. Will use a pitching wedge or a 9 if I need a bit more roll-out, but can play chip and runs with a 58 quite comfortably when needed. Whatever club you pick you should be able to play a variety of different shots with it as the chip and run is all well and good, but you can't play in every scenario. You need to be flexible with your short game.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

Used to be my 9 iron. My first pro told me to hit all short game shots with it and that's what I did for a while. By now I have changed mostly to my sandwedge (56°) for everything under 35 yards or so. I know less loft makes a shot easier, theoretically, but I find distance control very very hard with a bump and run shot, so I prefer a bit more loft which allows me to be slightly more aggressive. I do still use the 9 iron (and my other short to medium irons, depending on distance) for longer chip shots.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

95% of the time use my 56. I have a pretty decent short game and feel this club offers the best all round chance of getting up and down from whatever lie I may get.
    HCP 2017: 5.2 -> 3.8
    Selby GC

Depends on the lie, distance to pin, distance to landing point, any hazards to go over and if so how high, how the greens are reacting, wind etc etc...
    Any club from 7-58°
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

it makes no difference to me as i can thin or fat any club when trying to chip
    in my bag; all LH Callaway Epic sub zero driver with fujikura pro green x flex shaft, Epic Sub zero 3 wood with fujikura pro green x flex, Mizuno Tour Proven Original blades (3-PW) Cleveland CG15 wedges (52,56,60), Scotty Cameron Del Mar putter, Callaway Chrome soft balls