Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How well do you understand the mechanics of a good golf swing?

8/10 for me.

I'm a category 1 golfer and i've been through the PGA training, so my understanding of the mechanics of the golf swing are there and i can usually fix things myself. However, occasionally i do need some help as a second pair of eyes can see things that i can't. This has been the case lately, where i haven't had the time available to fix some problems, so I've worked with someone as opposed to trying to fix it myself.

As long as you have a fundamental understanding of why a ball goes a certain way, then you can (try to) adjust your swing accordingly. But i do think people over-complicate things sometimes and try to do things outside of their ability. Having said that, consistently putting the club in same position swing after swing, is not an easy thing to master. At all. Trying to explain this to people that don't play the game just don't understand!
    Last edited by Yant; 06-Sep-2017 at 08:17.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Assistant Pro

Angle of attack, swing path angle, late release, smooth transition, hip clearance, body rotation, weight transfer, lateral movement, cupped wrist, compressing the ball, impact position, follow through, spin rate, smash factor, launch angle, shaft frequency etc etc etc

I would say the average 24hcp chomper on here is better off at Specsavers getting a decent pair of specs so they can see which bush they just sliced their ball into

3/10

No where good enough to give advice or diagnose my own problems
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

Tour Rookie

I can in others
    I used to teach the juniors at my last club.
    I can get as technical as you like.
    But when it comes to my own swing I can't self fix on the course.
    If I record it on my iPad I can see where I am going wrong but when your swinging poorly on the course there's not many who can adjust.
    Even the best in the world can't self a just on the course , and they play with what they have got that day.
    The best players in the world still have lessons from their coach.
    But most amateurs think they can do it themselves.

How do you define "a good golf swing" Look at Jim Furyk, you wouldn't class that as a good swing, but it does the business for him.

9/10 for knowing the technical in's and out's of my swing but probably only 4/10 for seeing stuff in others. I'd be an awful teacher for sure.

Every day is a learning day and I'm always figuring out new stuff - and I enjoy that too. Guess it's just part of my character. Watching Chronicles of a Champion Golfer recently featuring Padraig Harrington was brilliant, apart from the training aids that's me all over.
    Taylormade M1 12° Fujikura Pro 56s - Taylormade M2 16.5° TM REAX 55r - Taylormade M2 Hybrid 19° - Ping G Crossover 4 - Titleist 695MB's - Vokey SM6 56° S-Grind, SM6 60° M-Grind - Odyssey Works V-Line Fang thingy - ProV1x - Hcp: 2

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob59 View Post
    This guy was recommended by my pro at the time but I never did follow it up.

http://www.bull3d.co.uk
    The 3D biomechanics is extremely interesting, and confirms my eureka moment at the range that I posted.

Look at the swing picture where it shows the swing arc/plane, and in particular the footprint it leaves as the club swings back. The most important point is as the club travels between 6 o clock and 9 o clock, the club travels up and away from the body, with the club head staying outside the hands. This is done by pulling the handle down, causing the clubhead to go up and out in front.
    This was explained to me years ago by a Pro, but has only recently come back to mind 😳

How the swing looks with the footprints is how I now see the swing mentally. Shame the penny didn't drop a few years ago

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    How do you define "a good golf swing" Look at Jim Furyk, you wouldn't class that as a good swing, but it does the business for him.
    His backswing is unconventional, but I would wager downswing and impact is much more like you'd expect.

So I would certainly classify it as a good swing, albeit not one that you would teach!

I'm not a natural when it comes to golf, I don't pick up a club and naturally swing it in a way that is conducive to good, consistent golf. So I've had to learn how to do it and that's required an understanding of how the swing works.

I expected there to be two categories among the good players on here : 1. Those that it has come to quite naturally, and therefore probably don't worry much about mechanics, and 2. Those that it has not come so naturally to, but have worked at it and got results from changing the way they do it, and in the process of doing so have learned about the golf swing.

I could be way off though!
    Handicap: 12

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    The ball flight tells you most things
    John Jacobs .

I love it all and find it fascinating. Bores the head off most people.
    Titleist 910 9.5* (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--