Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Head Pro

Re: How well do you understand the mechanics of a good golf swing?

I've gone clear mind route latter part of 2017. Swing mechanics thrown out the window completely. I'm using the step back drill for full turn only and its working, straighter shots and solid strikes.

All the guff I had in my head is being cleared out, no more YouTube videos, advice or tinkering till it goes wrong again.

Straighter shots mean its working for me that's all that matters #KeepItInPlay #ThinkLess
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 5.9 (winter series still to play #qualifyers)

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    I'm afraid that IS it simplified. The rest is just working to control those things.

The first 3 things could be moved quite drastically quite quickly. Quality of strike is another matter. Needs a lot of work and co-ordination.
    I agree. I think the people that say it's just a case of picking up a club and swinging and not thinking about it are the lucky ones that naturally do it in a way that works. Saying that to someone whose natural swing is fundamentally flawed isn't likely to help them improve in the long term. It might help them get the best out of their swing on the day, but long term, they won't improve if doing something that is fundamentally preventing them from achieving your list of simplified fundamentals.

Now, whether that person gets to the right place by just getting a lesson and taking the advice given, or by seeking to understand the swing themselves is a different question.

The scale doesnt go low enough to represent my understanding of the bio-machanics of a golf swing.

The last time a golfer asked me what my three main swing thoughts were as I stood over the ball I laughed and said that I was more likely to be thinking about the barmaid in my local than anything about how to swing the golf club!!!

Truly....if you put half a dozen golfers in front of me and made me watch them I wouldnt have a clue as to whther their swings were good bad or indifferent.

Played in a match the other weeks against a gentleman whos proportions made it difficult to execute what most might be consider a classic golf swing.....indeed his gut was still moving backwards as he was half way through his downswing....but what he did was to consistently return the clubface back to the ball to a position it was in at address.....and thats about all that matters.

I was once damned by faint praise by my teaching pro who once said....you've been able to reach a good standard (6/7 h'cap) because you have the ability to get the club back to the ball as it was at address....in spite of what happens with the swing in between!!!!! (However to progress further downwards I needed to really fix the swing in between!!!)
    Ping Rapture 13*Ping G 16.5* 3-woodPing G 19* & 22* hybridsCallaway Apex CF16 5i-AWTitleist Vokey wedgesScotty Futura XCallaway Chrome Soft

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    The scale doesnt go low enough to represent my understanding of the bio-machanics of a golf swing.

The last time a golfer asked me what my three main swing thoughts were as I stood over the ball I laughed and said that I was more likely to be thinking about the barmaid in my local than anything about how to swing the golf club!!!

Truly....if you put half a dozen golfers in front of me and made me watch them I wouldnt have a clue as to whther their swings were good bad or indifferent.

Played in a match the other weeks against a gentleman whos proportions made it difficult to execute what most might be consider a classic golf swing.....indeed his gut was still moving backwards as he was half way through his downswing....but what he did was to consistently return the clubface back to the ball to a position it was in at address.....and thats about all that matters.

I was once damned by faint praise by my teaching pro who once said....you've been able to reach a good standard (6/7 h'cap) because you have the ability to get the club back to the ball as it was at address....in spite of what happens with the swing in between!!!!! (However to progress further downwards I needed to really fix the swing in between!!!)
    What's your plan for fixing the inbetween? I.e. how are you going to learn to improve whatever needs to be improved?
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    1 - no idea and no inclination to find out , the whole bores the hell out of me , tee up ball , hit ball , walk after it then hit it again. The less information the better. Far too many technical people who try and learn all about the swing theory wise but their head is so full of swing thoughts they fail to relax to actually hit the ball and enjoy the game
    You'll never get into cat 1 with that attitude!
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    Is agree, the swing can look like anything as long as you have control over

Path
    Where the face is pointing at impact
    Angle of attack
    Strike location on the clubface

...then you won't be too far wrong.
    The PGA method of teaching is built around the 5 laws of golf
    The only one missing from the above list is speed
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    You'll never get into cat 1 with that attitude!
    I have been recently told I'm just a hacker because I don't take the game seriously enough 😩

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    I have been recently told I'm just a hacker because I don't take the game seriously enough 😩
    Don't tell me you're one of those that plays for fun
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Don't tell me you're one of those that plays for fun
    I know Kaz 🙁 I need to have a serious word with myself and try to get myself more competitive and ensure that it becomes the be all and end all and puts food on my table

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    The PGA method of teaching is built around the 5 laws of golf
    The only one missing from the above list is speed
    Im still of the opinion that the speed can go in at the end once you have a handle on the other things.

Im lead to believe these days young players are being taught, in the US at least, to smash the ball first then they will try to control it after that.

Suppose there is probably merits in both approaches.