Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

How well do you understand the mechanics of a good golf swing?

I thought this might be an interesting question.

On a scale of 1-10, how well do you understand the mechanics of the golf swing?

I think it's something I understand well, but struggle to put that knowledge into practice in my own swing. Translating understanding and knowledge into bio mechanical movements is difficult and it's where good PGA pros earn their corn (and why the not so good ones don't really help their pupils particularly).

I'm particularly interested to hear from cat 1 golfers. I've always thought that the better you get the better you need to understand your swing, but I don't think that necessarily means a strong understanding of the technical intricacies of the swing.

I'm a detail focused, technically minded person. I'm sure there are lots that just pick up a club and have a swing without thinking about it.
    Handicap: 12

Assistant Pro

Re: How well do you understand the mechanics of a good golf swing?

Good question!

Me: 3 I try to avoid the mechanics and keep as clear a head as possible!

One of my best mates: probably about a 7.
    He is ALWAYS reading instruction books, watching you tube videos, having odd lessons with different pros etc

So much so that he has completely tied himself in knots and just can not play.
    And he used to be half decent

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Paralysis by analysis

Thought about this a few years back when I had a back injury and wanted to know if I could go through a process of understanding of my swing at the time was causing problems.

This guy was recommended by my pro at the time but I never did follow it up.

http://www.bull3d.co.uk

Apart from the odd drop out of Cat 1 in the last 40 years, I've played to a decent level. I've read countless books and articles and watched tons of YouTube vids. I can recognise a decent swing, and I can tell when I've put a bad swing on a ball and where it'll go as it leaves the club face.

Can I put a swing fault right? No. The little intricacies that sometimes creep in and frustrate are difficult for me to identify. On the odd occasion I've gone to a good teaching pro they've identified the problem within minutes and, usually, put it right by the end of the lesson.

Do I understand the mechanics of a good swing? Yes, its not rocket science. Can I put them into practice? Mmm, sometimes.
    Give it big humpties

The ball flight tells you most things
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Understanding the mechanics is not a problem for me. I'm a software developer with a physics background. I could probably build a swing robot if I put my mind to it. Doesn't mean I can get my own body to consistently swing anywhere near that way. I am even pretty good at telling what went wrong with a particular swing and where it ventured off the desired path or plane. What can I say? I know what a perfect double Rittberger is supposed to look like as well. Doesn't mean I can do it.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    The ball flight tells you most things
    It gives you factual information relating to path and the club face angle at impact.

It doesn't tell you how you got to that position or how to do fix it. You'd still need to know a decent amount about golf swing mechanics to fix your swing simply based on what you see the ball doing.
    Handicap: 12

Wave bat, hit ball, find it, repeat.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersoft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

I think about my swing A LOT but don't really have a clue about the mechanics.

Keep it on plane and try to get everything turning in sync.

That's about it.

A 3 at the most.
    The Bats:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero
    Titleist 915F 3 Wood
    Cobra KING 2 Iron
    Titleist AP2 716
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Handicap Challenge:
    SugarPenguin (11.6 > 8.7) vs. louise_a (11.6)

2, never had lessons and try to "self fix" myself when i need to. I have a feeling that a "proper" swing or a go on one of those explanar machines would feel absolutely hideous to me and therefore am not prepared to go two steps backward to possibly go three forward. I try to concentrate more on alignment and completing my backswing before starting down....that's about all.
    2016: 12.7,12.4,11.8,11.6,11.7.11.8,11.8,11.4,11.5,11.5, 11.6,11.7,10.3,10.4,10.5,10.5,9.9
    2017: 9.9,10.0,10.1,10.2,10.3,10.4,9.6,9.4,9.5,9.6,9.7,9 .8,9.9.9.9,10.0