Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood off the tee?

I currently use an Adams Speedline 3 Hybrid FW off the tee on our longer par 3s and also as a fallback when the driver starts acting up.

I bought it second hand from AG when i first took the game up 2 years ago, but found i couldn't hit it then so it sat in the garage until a few months ago when I decided to try again with it. I have been getting reasonable results, so it has stayed in the bag.

I only ever hit it off the tee - my Cobra F6 4 hybrid is my go-to for long 2nd shots - and to be honest, I only realised the Speedline is meant to be a cross between a hybrid and a FW when I googled it a few days ago!

Google also tells me the club dates back to 2009, so I was thinking maybe it's time to upgrade to a better 3 wood. My first thought was an F6, but these are still a bit pricey at £129 for a range which has been superceded by the F7.

I had a look about, and have found the Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood, new for £36 in Fat Mike's bargain basement!! Seemed like a no brainer until I read an online review saying it was better off the ground than off the tee.

Does anyone on here use one of these off the tee, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Re: Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood off the tee?

Own one

It's fine. Just tee low.

High flight but they go go go when struck well.

Easy peasy of the deck as well

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tugglesf239 View Post
    Own one

It's fine. Just tee low.

High flight but they go go go when struck well.

Easy peasy of the deck as well
    sounds good, will give it a go, thanks for the advice!

I tried a second hand Tight Lies from AG at the range. It didn't work off the lowest tee height there, but the lowest tee height wasn't particularly low. It's just that the face is very low profile, but I'm sure you could just tee it up pretty low like you would for mid/long iron and it would be fine? Just experiment with tee heights until you find one that works - even if it's only 3mm off the deck!
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Q-School Graduate

I'm currently on the scout out for a 3-wood with a deeper face, got an old 'XCG3' with a nice deep face which I hit really well, also got an 'XR' which I hit well on occasions, the only thing is the 'XCG3' is getting a bit long in the tooth now and is beginning to look a bit battered around the edges hence the hunt for a new toy...

ps, also got a 'Wilson deep red II fatshaft' 3-wood which goes like an absolute rocket but being real 'old skool' is a bit of a running joke between me and my mates...
    Last edited by Face breaker; 05-Sep-2017 at 15:22.
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    I'm currently on the scout out for a 3-wood with a deeper face, got an old 'XCG3' with a nice deep face which I hit really well, also got an 'XR' which I hit well on occasions, the only thing is the 'XCG3' is getting a bit long in the tooth now and is beginning to look a bit battered around the edges hence the hunt for a new toy...

ps, also got a 'Wilson deep red II fatshaft' 3-wood which goes like an absolute rocket but being real 'old skool' is a bit of a running joke between me and my mates...
    Forget the tattiness! It's the performance that matters! And if you get on with the TEE XCG3, it's one to stick with!

As for the OP's question... Tight Lies is very low profile, so tee it low! If it works that way, then it's a keeper! Otherwise there are plenty of other Adams alternatives!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Tour Rookie

I have the original tight lies (well 5,7 and 9 woods) which are very similar and low profile. When I hit them off the tee I just use one of those small orange castle tees and feel like it is a fairway shot, so hit down on it and have no problems with it.

Sometimes if looking for a high cut flight, I will tee it up on a taller red castle tee and play it like a driver swing.
    H'cap 9.1

Challenge Tour Pro

I normally use the blue castle tees when hitting my current 3 wood or a hybrid off the tee - are they too high for this club then?

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    I normally use the blue castle tees when hitting my current 3 wood or a hybrid off the tee - are they too high for this club then?
    Shallow faces benefit from a lower tee, about half a ball above the top is fine, even for shallow 3 woods.

Impact tape can help see if you tend to hit too high on the face.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    Shallow faces benefit from a lower tee, about half a ball above the top is fine, even for shallow 3 woods.

Impact tape can help see if you tend to hit too high on the face.
    Sky marks are another dead giveaway that yer ball's teed-up to high, believe me, I know, the evidence was all along the top edge of my X2hot, hence my preference for a deeper face...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...