Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Annual trip to Scotland

Play Lanark, if you can get on of a Saturday.

Journeyman Pro

Thanks for the replies.

Hirsel looks quite nice and we'll check out Forfar. Might be one to play during the week as it is so close to the house.

We have played Silloth before on our way up and we'd prefer something over towards the East coast or Glasgow / Edinburgh I think. Always like playing new places.

Have also played Ballater before. Thought it was quite pretty, albeit a little tame.

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    What's wrong with Peterculter, I like it? Aboyne is tough to score on and has some good holes. I was a member at Ballater for years and whilst I agree it's prettier and a nice track its very open and relatively easy to score on.
    Hawkshill is very good I agree but a bit far from OPs base at Laurencekirk I thought.
    What's gone wrong at Letham Grange then? Never been there but had heard good things (some years ago mind).
    LG - Company went bust, members took it over but having to run it on a shoestring so just not getting the maintenance it needs, so rough round the edges and boddy in parts.

Peterculter: Think it's the nearest course to me apart from my own club, but it's rough round the edges and is just an average course start to finish. Certainly if you're coming all the way from south england, you'd be hoping for something better imo. Ballater is the best course on Deeside, and I don't think it's even a close shout, yes some easy holes, but the first six off the medals will make or break your card, hang on and hope you make some shots back later is the order of the day.

Was forgetting Laurenckirk as a base, with that in mind it has to be Forfar and Edzell then, though a pop across to Banchory would be enjoyable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    This is a great shout although it is not really that near Berwick in driving terms. You go up the A1, turn onto the A697 just past Morpeth and drive to it that way. Well worth it as said.

You will grin like an idiot playing the par 3 10th. Every golf designer building 200+yd par 3's should play this hole and accept they are wrong.
    I more worried about the stick I would get if I missed it!

Great course, great layout. Very welcoming.
    What's In the Bag;
    Ping G30 LS Tec 8 degree driver Tour Stiff 80
    Taylor Made M1 3 wood stiff 14.5 degree
    Titleist 712U 3 iron X100
    Mizuno MP5 4-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno T7 wedges- 49,54,60 Project X 6.5
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select M1
    Titleist Pro V1 Balls

Knocking it around here-
    Duddingston Golf Club, Edinburgh
    http://www.duddingstongolfclub.co.uk

2015 Handicap- 11.4>8.3
    2016 Handicap- 8.3>5.9>6.9>5.6>5.9
    2017 Handicap Goal- 3.9 or less

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    Play Lanark, if you can get on of a Saturday.
    Forgotten about Lanark. We were going to play there last year on our way up, as they said if we called the week before they may be able to squeeze us in assuming all the tee times weren't used up by members, but we ended up going somewhere we could book in advance, but definitely worth a shot. Cheers

What about the Roxburghe course between A68 and Kelso? Ranked highly.
    A68 is arguably quicker than the A1 if going Newcastle to Edinburgh.

You won't play Trump, but may play Carnoustie? I can't help you sorry.

if fact, I don't think anyone can
    H'cap 14.8

Assistant Pro

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/golfoffers/

If there is anything on there you will be playing let me know and I can post the voucher if it's any good to you. Some are 12 others 15, some are valid 7 days others just Monday to Friday depends on the course.
    Last edited by pool888; 05-Sep-2017 at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by woody69 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Hirsel looks quite nice and we'll check out Forfar. Might be one to play during the week as it is so close to the house.

We have played Silloth before on our way up and we'd prefer something over towards the East coast or Glasgow / Edinburgh I think. Always like playing new places.

Have also played Ballater before. Thought it was quite pretty, albeit a little tame.
    If your going Edinburgh way, have you played the Gullane/North Berwick area courses. Lots of choice there.
    In the Bag:

Titleist 910 D3 9.5 degree Grafalloy blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
    Callaway X Hot pro hybrid 16 degree
    Cobra FLY-Z plus forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
    Nike VR S400 56/10
    Rife 460 Tour Blade

Handicap - 18.7

http://www.mintogolf.co.uk/

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by davemc1 View Post
    You won't play Trump, but may play Carnoustie? I can't help you sorry.

if fact, I don't think anyone can
    Well, no that's not quite what I said. We probably won't play Trump considering it is 235 for a standard green fee, versus 175 at Carnoustie, I think that is a fairly valid reason.

We also like to be fairly flexible with where we play as we tend to move around depending on the weather in certain locations, so we don't want to pay out over 200 quid and be committed to playing a certain course if the weather is dreadful.

We also go every year, so I'm sure we will get to play it at some point