Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,503

    Annual trip to Scotland

    Only a few weeks to go until myself and 3 mates head up to Scotland for the week. This year though, we are changing things up and heading over to the east coast, staying in a house near Laurencekirk.

    Other than Cruden Bay and Blairgowrie on 2 of the days, our plans are fairly open as to where to play.

    We drive up, starting in Reading and play on the way up, so if anyone can suggest a course on route up towards Scotland that allows visitors around Saturday lunchtime, that would be great. We were thinking about Goswick as one option, but open to others.

    Doubt we'll bother with the Trump course, although we are thinking about Carnoustie, depending on the weather.

    We are after a mix of links and parkland, as I know most courses over that side appear to be links, so if you know of any hidden parkland courses around that area, please let us know.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Journeyman Pro Garush34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Quote Originally Posted by woody69 View Post
    Only a few weeks to go until myself and 3 mates head up to Scotland for the week. This year though, we are changing things up and heading over to the east coast, staying in a house near Laurencekirk.

    Other than Cruden Bay and Blairgowrie on 2 of the days, our plans are fairly open as to where to play.

    We drive up, starting in Reading and play on the way up, so if anyone can suggest a course on route up towards Scotland that allows visitors around Saturday lunchtime, that would be great. We were thinking about Goswick as one option, but open to others.

    Doubt we'll bother with the Trump course, although we are thinking about Carnoustie, depending on the weather.

    We are after a mix of links and parkland, as I know most courses over that side appear to be links, so if you know of any hidden parkland courses around that area, please let us know.

    Cheers
    I played downfield in Dundee last week. Parkland course, very nice place to play with some interesting holes, we got a very friendly welcome and would definitely go back. Prices wise it is a good price.
    In the Bag:

    Ping G 9 degree Std UST Mamiya Proforce V2 6F4
    Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
    Cobra FLY-Z plus forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125 (bent to 50)
    Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
    Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110
    Rife 460 Tour Blade


    Handicap - 18.2

    https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/

  3. #3
    Journeyman Pro maxfli65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    You need to play Montrose (old links), quite close to where you're staying.
    Stonehaven is parkland despite being on sea - quirky with some good par 3s.
    Letham Grange nr Arbroath has 2 courses is inland and supposed to be very good.
    A trip over the scenic Cairn O Mount road will get you to Banchory in an hour - Lairds,Inchmarlo is good plus loads of decent older parkland tracks like Deeside, Peterculter, Aboyne, Ballater etc along Deeside.

  4. #4
    Journeyman Pro maxfli65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    You need to play Montrose (old links), quite close to where you're staying.
    Stonehaven is parkland despite being on sea - quirky with some good par 3s.
    Letham Grange nr Arbroath has 2 courses is inland and supposed to be very good.
    A trip over the scenic Cairn O Mount road will get you to Banchory in an hour - Lairds,Inchmarlo is good plus loads of decent older parkland tracks like Deeside, Peterculter, Aboyne, Ballater etc along Deeside.
    Sorry, Lairds has closed. Went under I think.

  5. #5
    Q-School Graduate HughJars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    944

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    You need to play Montrose (old links), quite close to where you're staying.
    Stonehaven is parkland despite being on sea - quirky with some good par 3s.
    Letham Grange nr Arbroath has 2 courses is inland and supposed to be very good.
    A trip over the scenic Cairn O Mount road will get you to Banchory in an hour - Lairds,Inchmarlo is good plus loads of decent older parkland tracks like Deeside, Peterculter, Aboyne, Ballater etc along Deeside.
    Letham Grange is now in terrible condition, avoid.

    Lairds course at inchmarlo is now closed

    Deeside and Peterculter are poor layouts, Aboyne not that great either. If playing Royal Deeside then go for Ballater, by far the best of the bunch. Banchory in great nick. Newmacher Hawkshill also needs to be on your possibles just north of Aberdeen.

    Further south and nearer Montrose, two great James Braid courses, Edzell & Forfar are worth the detour.

  6. #6
    Q-School Graduate jamielaing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    874

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Hirsel in Coldstream, on the border at Berwick. You will not be disappointed.
    WITB
    Taylor Made M3 6.5 degree Hzrdus Black 6.5
    Mizuno MP H5 1 iron Project X 6.5
    Titleist 712U 3 iron X100
    Mizuno MP5 4-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno T7 wedges- 49,54,60 Project X 6.5
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select M1
    Taylor Made TP5 balls

    Knocking it around here-
    Duddingston Golf Club, Edinburgh
    http://www.duddingstongolfclub.co.uk

    2015 Handicap- 11.4>8.3
    2016 Handicap- 8.3>5.9>6.9>5.6>5.9
    2017 Handicap- 5.9>6.2
    2018 Handicap- 6.2>6.5>5.5
    2018 Goal- 4.4 or less

  7. #7
    Journeyman Pro maxfli65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Quote Originally Posted by HughJars View Post
    Letham Grange is now in terrible condition, avoid.

    Lairds course at inchmarlo is now closed

    Deeside and Peterculter are poor layouts, Aboyne not that great either. If playing Royal Deeside then go for Ballater, by far the best of the bunch. Banchory in great nick. Newmacher Hawkshill also needs to be on your possibles just north of Aberdeen.

    Further south and nearer Montrose, two great James Braid courses, Edzell & Forfar are worth the detour.
    What's wrong with Peterculter, I like it? Aboyne is tough to score on and has some good holes. I was a member at Ballater for years and whilst I agree it's prettier and a nice track its very open and relatively easy to score on.
    Hawkshill is very good I agree but a bit far from OPs base at Laurencekirk I thought.
    What's gone wrong at Letham Grange then? Never been there but had heard good things (some years ago mind).

  8. #8
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    9,718

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Quote Originally Posted by jamielaing View Post
    Hirsel in Coldstream, on the border at Berwick. You will not be disappointed.
    This is a great shout although it is not really that near Berwick in driving terms. You go up the A1, turn onto the A697 just past Morpeth and drive to it that way. Well worth it as said.

    You will grin like an idiot playing the par 3 10th. Every golf designer building 200+yd par 3's should play this hole and accept they are wrong.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  9. #9
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    342

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Silloth on the way up should be ok for a Saturday round. The Dukes at St Andrews is a nice change from links, more of a heathland feel. Another option on the way up is Ganton although not sure about Saturday access. They take county cards but think it may be midweek only.

  10. #10
    Journeyman Pro IanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Annual trip to Scotland

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    You will grin like an idiot playing the par 3 10th. Every golf designer building 200+yd par 3's should play this hole and accept they are wrong.
    ...I'm with you on this...
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

What Tour Players Splash Their Cash On

With millions in the bank, what do pro golfers spend their money on?

June 21, 2018

Play in the BMW Golf Cup International at Woburn

Golf Monthly readers are being offered the exclusive opportunity to play in the Regional Final for the BMW Golf Cup International over the superb Marquess Course at Woburn with a chance to go on and compete in the National and World Finals in St Andrews and Mexico.

June 21, 2018

Mickelson “Embarrassed And Disappointed” After US Open Penalty

The five-time major winner has revealed that he is embarrassed and disappointed by his episode last week

June 20, 2018

Why Do Golfers Shout Fore?

What is the etymology of this golfing word of warning?

June 20, 2018