Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Can you really call yourself a low handicapper.....

Quote Originally Posted by MendieGK View Post
    For what it's worth, I think anyone with a low teens handicap can be classed as a good golfer. Golf isn't easy
    Good is a different level. A good golfer for me is someone who gets less than 1 shot every hole
    Forever trying.

Low is the narrow bridge inbetween Fairway dodger's 2.8 and NWJocko's handicaps.

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I love watching a good low handicapper. Sometimes you don't even realise they are playing well as its done without any fuss. Fairway, green and 2 putts. Occasionally a birdie and occasionally a bogey. Equally, you see the odd Cat 1 player that thrashes and bashes and has a swing that looks like an octopus putting on a sweater in a phone box.
    Agree with this. I play regularly with the best player handicap wise at my club, he's off 4. It is a joy to watch him get around the course, and even when it doesn't seem like hes playing well, he's close to par. If i could get his short game for a few rounds I know I'd get my handicap down.
    In the Bag:

Titleist 910 D3 9.5 degree Grafalloy blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
    Callaway X Hot pro hybrid 16 degree
    Cobra FLY-Z plus forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
    Nike VR S400 56/10
    Rife 460 Tour Blade

Handicap - 18.7

http://www.mintogolf.co.uk/

Don't think where you play is relevant. An examination of our club's handicap list shows that 60 players are lower than me and around 500 higher. I think a lot of other players would regard me as a "low handicapper". It's all relevent, isn't it?
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    Don't think where you play is relevant. An examination of our club's handicap list shows that 60 players are lower than me and around 500 higher. I think a lot of other players would regard me as a "low handicapper". It's all relevent, isn't it?
    i think where you playing is very important. i play my friend's course and shoot level par quite alot. if i hook a drive then I usually end up on another fairway and still have a shot into the green. on my course (the pga) you hook a drive and your dead. none of the hoels are close enough to each other to collect an errant shot. yet this course only has a sss of +1.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by MendieGK View Post
    If you never leave your home club to play opens/scratch events etc?

no agenda here, just intrigued as to people's views on the matter
    Don't really understand the distinction you are trying to make. Your club handicap is either low or not.

Some golf layouts will suit some peoples style of golf for scoring purposes for sure, for instance I struggle to shoot my handicap(but still can) on courses that are really tight or have loads of 'draw' shaped doglegs, as I like to hit driver and cant hit a draw to order with my driver. Or whether your handicap 'travels' well is another matter. Not that I consider mine as low, as I am still a hacker in my eyes.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWilliams View Post
    Don't really understand the distinction you are trying to make. Your club handicap is either low or not.

Some golf layouts will suit some peoples style of golf for scoring purposes for sure, for instance I struggle to shoot my handicap(but still can) on courses that are really tight or have loads of 'draw' shaped doglegs, as I like to hit driver and cant hit a draw to order with my driver. Or whether your handicap 'travels' well is another matter. Not that I consider mine as low, as I am still a hacker in my eyes.
    I suppose I'm asking the question around handicaps travelling, and the ability to perform close to it at other courses.
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.2

How your handicap holds up on other courses away from your 'home' course is an entirely different question to being able to call yourself a low handicapper if you don't play in scratch events.

I think you just haven't asked a clear question, that's all.

The former is a valid discussion, the latter could be considered an antagonistic one.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Q-School Graduate

Anyone lower than a 21 is a low handicapper in my opinion I play to that handicap for the most as well, sometimes lower although more often than not quite a bit higher, the last thing I need is someone invalidating my handicap as I do a good enough job of it on my own thanks...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Q-School Graduate

As to OP.

I played to around 6 for about 20 years with lots of level par rounds of golf and a low of -3. The real test was when I played away, which I used to do a lot, there were some courses where I played to or slightly better than my handicap and there were also quite a few where I got no where near it.

There were quite a few that if I played their more often I certainly would have been better because a lot of the 'dropped ' shots were on the greens, either not adjusting to the difference in pace or not quite reading them accurately.

As the question of what is low, it is a matter of perspective viewed from your own handicap. So to me it is a player around scratch but I have played with quite a few players around the same handicap as myself who have played great games.