Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Power

More Power

I played in our invitation day on Saturday knowing we'd no chance of getting even close. Why? Glad you've asked. My mate plays off 28, although as I told my mate from the club playing with us, on the first tee he can't really do that. So by the time we'd tee'd off the 9th and my mate had just cleared the first green below it, my mate (club) said I can see now. His swing speed is about "15 miles an hour", slight exageration. It's bonkers really, he hits it well with his hydrids and irons, usually. Just is massively short off the tee. One think I've noticed is that he stands way too close to the ball, yes yes I did do the joke with him on Saturday,......after he's hit it. I realised this is why he is "all arms", as I and others have told him. He has got no room for his body to turn, so his brain then brings in his arms very tight to his body and the club is VERY steep. The ball goes up but not very far and with no power. Also, I noticed, and get this, he hold the club at the bottom of the grip near the shaft!!!!!!! I asked him about this and he didn't even realise he was doing this. Good grief! He is starting to realise things aren't right and has been going to the range to try things, he's told me, but if he's doing the wrong things he's not going to help himself. Yes, we've all told him to get a lesson, Jesus he needs 6 months of lessons, and he keeps on telling me when we meet up he's going to have a lesson, but never does. He even suggested that I play with someone else at our invitation day as I'd do a lot better. As I told him, he's my mate so there's no way I'd play with anyone else!
    How can I get him to actually sort himself out?
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Re: More Power

Well, it's up to him, though, isn't it? I mean, if he is feeling okay with his length off the tee and the way he is hitting it, then what's it to you? And if he is not, then he is going to get a lesson sooner or later. If you value your friendship, don't try to teach him (unless he explicitely asks you for advice on something) or to talk him into getting lessons. If you want to play with him, great. If you want to win, maybe find another partner for events where that is important to you. But don't try to change his game for him. That's bound to fail. Concentrate on your own game and let him meddle with his.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Too late, after posting I've text him to arrange a meet up at the range. If you're right things could go very wrong.
    In My Bag
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Maybe the driver just isn't for him at this stage, some people find it too long and unwieldy. What's he like with the 3 wood off the tee? That might be the better option for the time being.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Maybe the driver just isn't for him at this stage, some people find it too long and unwieldy. What's he like with the 3 wood off the tee? That might be the better option for the time being.
    Hmmm maybe, he's only been playing over 20 odd years. LOL !
    In My Bag
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy

Well maybe the driver isn't for him full stop! But for 'this stage' I guess I meant prior to having any lessons in using it.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

I've always struggled for distance off the tee, partly due to a damaged left shoulder and a weak high fade finishing it off. I was really suffering earlier this season and then made a few changes. Shortened my stance, gripped the club lower down and slowed my backswing down. Within weeks I had dropped two shots, added about 30 yards in distance and was finding more fairways.
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

Maybe his driver is just too long for him

I lopped a couple inches off my old driver before I ever had any confidence with it (its unreal how much more control you get in return) I upgraded the driver last year but kept this one full size and instead I hold the grip well down

(Just had a misbehaving fairway club shortened by 5cm too and its and transformed it into something like a hybrid sized club with a FW sized head, first outing with it yesterday was really good)

How short off the tee is he exactly? Anything over 150 yards isn't bad off the tee, is it?

no more than 150!
    In My Bag
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy