Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: New Course Rating

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    The average club player can't cope with more than 9.0
    Why not? If you can't putt on fast greens it's because you have bad technique, same goes for chipping. Why should greens be slowed up to a point that I don't like playing on because I have put time into having a good short game. I just can't bring myself to have to whack a putt because a green is slower than the M25 in rush hour.

Please do not take my comment wrong as anyone on here that I have played with knows that I am not anti high handicappers. But I just get annoyed when people want to slow greens down to make it easier for them and punish the better golfer.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Tour Winner

Not sure what you mean by the better golfer.
    By definition 50% of golfers are not better, why shouldn't they have the same rights.

Of course it is only in relatively recent years that the technology and grasses have been available to achieve such speed consistently. Most older courses with clay bowl greens cannot sustain those conditions for a season. Very few courses will set their greens to 10 except for major events. Even at county level we very rarely see them. During the last few years of rating I have never encountered a course which actually stimped at 10 although the club claimed that figure. I fact green keepers often say that members claim their greens are faster than they really are.

Edit. I've just realised that you are in NC. The climatic conditions are of course very different to northern Europe, so much of the above may not be so relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Not sure what you mean by the better golfer.
    By definition 50% of golfers are not better, why shouldn't they have the same rights.

Of course it is only in relatively recent years that the technology and grasses have been available to achieve such speed consistently. Most older courses with clay bowl greens cannot sustain those conditions for a season. Very few courses will set their greens to 10 except for major events. Even at county level we very rarely see them. During the last few years of rating I have never encountered a course which actually stimped at 10 although the club claimed that figure. I fact green keepers often say that members claim their greens are faster than they really are.

Edit. I've just realised that you are in NC. The climatic conditions are of course very different to northern Europe, so much of the above may not be so relevant.
    [QUOTE=Parsaregood;1745655]

I'm use to playing on nice fast Bermuda greens. When it is above 30*C from June through to the end of August most days the courses are a lot faster than back in England. I find myself complaining about slow greens now that I would have been happy with back home.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com