Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Money List Winner

Re: To cut or not to cut, that's the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Face breaker View Post
    No idea, good point, I never use a 5i as I use a hybrid instead, I'll give it a dusting off next time I'm out and see what happens...
    If the 6 is your longest iron in the bag it does raise another possibility - that instead of an accidental issue around alignment or swing you are simply more comfortable with it looking a little open at address.

I'm sure you will find out what's happening.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    If the 6 is your longest iron in the bag it does raise another possibility - that instead of an accidental issue around alignment or swing you are simply more comfortable with it looking a little open at address.

I'm sure you will find out what's happening.
    I did notice when out last night that if a make a deliberate effort to close the face at address the issue was quite a bit 'less prominent' but on the flip side to that is standing at address with the face of the club pointing left of target feels a little odd to say the least...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 6-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Money List Winner

I did notice when out last night that if a make a deliberate effort to close the face at address the issue was quite a bit 'less prominent' but on the flip side to that is standing at address with the face of the club pointing left of target feels a little odd to say the least...
    Have you added a direction indicator to the face at address? It can be quite illuminating on longer irons.
    Certainly wouldn't recommend artificially closing the face at address for a single iron - If it's square at address then you are into dynamic changes as coach alludes (if there aren't any underlying club issues)
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Challenge Tour Pro

Cheers 'coach' this was my thinking with the length as it's not a slice but a straight block and only by a few yds (maybe 5-10) but always the same...

Anybody know how hard or easy stainless steel bends as I may want the lie altered, heard some say that some 'pro-shops' won't bend cast or stainless heads, only forged...
    Depends totally on the club and the type of steel used and the willingness of the pro to give it a try.

Some cast clubs eg Vokey Wedges can be bent.

I agree with MIB when clubs are new you trim the butt end of the shaft to the required length. Shaft extenders are only put in to clubs that have already been assembled.

Tour Rookie

If they were secondhand you may find that the 6 iron might have been damaged and a new shaft / head or whole new club has been substituted.
    Look really closely at them side by side to see any differences especially the shaft.
    Check the serial #match .
    My guess would be a new shaft in the 6iron at some time that just quite doesn't match the others.

Get the loft/lie checked by a pro first and see what they suggest. I wouldn't cut personally until I knew there was an issue and even then if you can hit the others well I'd be working out why this one doesn't go where intended. It can't be all down to the club surely

Q-School Graduate

All clubs are a matching set, all are a half inch longer than standard, I do have to say that I don't really use the 6/7 irons that much, mostly 3-wood, 7-wood/22-hybrid then 8/9/PW/SW etc, to be honest my 5/6i's and for the most the 7i are just dead weight, just 2 or 3 holes that I come unstuck on 3rd, 10th and 15th are where I struggle with what tool to select if you know what I mean, my 22 is a bit to long but the 7i is a bit to short, a lot will depend on wind direction...

15th is a beggar, only 145yds but uphill and 99% of the time with a stiff left to right head wind, my 7i very often doesn't quite make it but the 22-hybrid will sail right out the back if I catch it rite and if the wind's real hard and catches the ball it can go extremely right of target...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 6-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Get the loft/lie checked by a pro first and see what they suggest. I wouldn't cut personally until I knew there was an issue and even then if you can hit the others well I'd be working out why this one doesn't go where intended. It can't be all down to the club surely
    I'm playing with ball positioning at the moment, wondering if I may have it a bit to far forward/back in my stance and either pushing it or coming across it and slicing it a bit, possibly need to stand a bit further away from the ball as well, seem to be coming outta the back of the face more often than not which is why I questioned length...
    Last edited by Face breaker; 03-Sep-2017 at 20:38.

Q-School Graduate

The ole 6 has gone in for a checkup from the hosel down today, will get the results tomorrow, with any luck the lie will be askew and not just a swing issue on my part, much prefer to have to alter the lie than to have to compensate by altering my swing, we'll see...

Challenge Tour Pro

Following clubchamps comment

The way to check it is the same and correct shaft is not to go by the label.

Put the 5,6 and 7 side by side and look at the steps in the shaft. Check that the spacings between steps match. Each club should have the first step closest to the hosel half inch further away with the 5 iron having the biggest gap between the two.