Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

To cut or not to cut, that's the question...

Recently aquired a set of 'King Cobra 3100i/h' irons which I'm playing really well barring the 6i which I have a tendency to put right of target...

I did a 'spec check' on'em and discovered that they're .5 inch over standard and a half a degree uprite so 7i is 37" and 62.5 lie as opposed to the standard 36.5" and 62 lie...

Now I measure up as standard/standard and I'm wondering if that extra half inch is why I'm putting the 6i right of target most of the time so my question is should I cut that extra half an inch off and bring'em back to standard length or should I just let sleeping dogs lay as it were...

It's just the 6 that's the issue, the rest are fine, and although I can easily extend them again if need be I am a little reluctant to ruin a perfectly good set of unmolested 'Nippon NS Pro' shafts, any views on the subject would be most appreciated...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Re: To cut or not to cut, that's the question...

As long as you're not holding them right down at the bottom of the grips, I'd be inclined just to get the lies sorted and not cut the shafts. Particularly if it's only the 6 that's giving problems.

bm

Head Pro

You state twice, its just the 6 that's the issue, so why not try cutting the 6 only? If it makes no difference then at least you only have one to extend again. If I were hitting the rest well I would never start messing with length or lie

Journeyman Pro

it's a tad strange it is only the 6i - assuming the specs of the 6 are the same in 'pro' with the set (lengths & lie angles plus that the 6i's loft is 'correct' to the 5 & 7)

as a general tendency if the lie angles are too upright then the shots could more likely go leftfield

& if the irons are too long then the tendency could be to go rightfield

but all of that can be over-ruled by an individuals swing motion pattern - usually to do with the motions manipulation of the dynamic lie presented into impact - for instance if the handle gets raised up a bunch so shaft more vertical - plus where exactly on the face the strike location is

but strange it's only the 6i - have you checked if the grip on the 6i is lined up if it is a grip with position indicators on?
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5 M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20 Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58 bounce 8 KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

More likely that the lie angle of the 6i is flatter than the rest. Can't imagine an extra " will make any difference.
    Taylormade M1 9, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Clubs are usually lengthened by a plug at the end of the shaft. Why not get them regripped and just take the plug out? Try just your 6 iron first.....

Quote Originally Posted by Karl102 View Post
    Clubs are usually lengthened by a plug at the end of the shaft. Why not get them regripped and just take the plug out? Try just your 6 iron first.....
    Not if they were custom made " longer. All shafts are supplied oversize & cut to the customer's requirements.
    Taylormade M1 9, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Q-School Graduate

Cheers 'coach' this was my thinking with the length as it's not a slice but a straight block and only by a few yds (maybe 5-10) but always the same...

When I first tried using it I couldn't hit it fer toffees and was all over the place with it 'chunking/scuffing/slicing/hooking' the works like but now at least I've come round to hitting it straight, only thing that bothers me is what have I 'subconsciously' altered about my swing to be able to hit it, never a good sign is it !...

Yeah 'jusme' may just lop a 1/2" of the 6i and see how it goes, I hit the 7/8/9/PW/SW with a very slight draw although as 'MIB' says it may well be a lie thing with the 6...

Anybody know how hard or easy stainless steel bends as I may want the lie altered, heard some say that some 'pro-shops' won't bend cast or stainless heads, only forged...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Money List Winner

So what happens with the 5 iron?
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    So what happens with the 5 iron?
    No idea, good point, I never use a 5i as I use a hybrid instead, I'll give it a dusting off next time I'm out and see what happens...