Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Players who ignore bells

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    Playing at Filey today, only the second time I've played it.

There is a par 5 and a long par 4 which run parallel, the first one is uphill and the second is downhill both.

I was playing the uphill par 5 and noticed the pair coming down the par 4 ringing a bell as they passed.

there was a pair of old guys in between us. I got to the green on the par 5 just as they were teeing off on the next hole.

By by the time I got to that tee they had disappeared down into the dip about 150 yards from the tee. On the tee was a big sign saying "do not tee off until the party in front of you have rung the warning bell".

So I waited for them to ring the bell. And waited, and waited ...

After about 7 or 8 minutes, I thought "sod it, they must be clear by now" and hit my drive. When I got to the dip, I could see them on the green, about 300 yards in front.

This lack of common courtesy really gets on my wick. It happens at our place as well where you are supposed to ring a bell coming off the 17th green. Most people do ring it, but there is a sizeable minority of players who just ignore it. These are the same players who go mad if someone's drives off behind them when they are playing that hole.

and before anyone asks, yes I did ring the bell when I went past it!
    Much ignorance with golfers nowdays and sadly no longer the gentlemans game .
    Nike Vapor Driver With Mitsubishi Fubuki Stiff Shaft 10.5 deg
    Nike Vapor Flex 3 Wood With Diamana Stiff Blue Shaft 15 deg
    Nike Vapor Flex Hybrid With Diamana Stiff Shaft 19 deg
    Adams GT irons 3-PW With Performance Lite Stiff Shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52:08 Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 56:10 Wedge
    Rife Iconic 3 Putter
    Titleist NXT Tour ball
    Titleist lightweight carry bag

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post

So I waited for them to ring the bell. And waited, and waited ...

After about 7 or 8 minutes, I thought "sod it, they must be clear by now" and hit my drive...

Oh, the irony....
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

It happens. Laugh at there ignorance, don't let it bother you.
    Give it big humpties

Ryder Cup Winner

I've been at courses that have bells behind average landing areas so you have to walk back to ring the bell then leaving you in the landing area as others tee off.

Q-School Graduate

Played Windermere a couple of years back. The first (along with half the holes!) is blind because it's over a hill crest. We'd read the local rules before playing and they mentioned the plethora of bells, so we waited at the first for ages. Eventually a kind member informed us this hole had no bell. Ooops.
    • TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 10.5
    • Adams Tightlies 16
    • Nike VRS 3 Hybrid 21
    • Mizuno MX17 4-PW (1" longer)
    • Titleist Vokey 250.08 Oilcan
    • Spalding 56, 12 bounce
    • Yes Robin Putter

Assistant Pro

We could really do with a Bell on our 10th. It's a dog leg left, even from the elevated tee the fairway is masked by a mass of trees. You can cut the corner but are blind to the fairway. We asked for a bell as there have been a number of close calls. So far the club has refused as they want to do a H&S study to assess the risk.............

You rely on trying to spot the players on the fairway through the trees, never very easy especially in summer when the trees are fully leafed, so easy though to think it is clear only to find out it wasn't.

Tour Rookie

We have a bell on our short blind par 4 16th and quite a number of times people don't ring it, normally find out when they walk to the 17th and we can see them on that tee.

After getting a bit feed up with always waiting, we did on one occasion make the mistake of thinking they must be on the green now and teed off, until we heard shouts coming from up there. So don't make that mistake anymore and just wait