Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it worth replacing motor etc in electric trolley?

I have a 4 year old Motocaddy S3 digital, it's had a LOT of use (and abuse) over the years. Neither course I've been a member of has been remotely flat so it's pulled up a lot of slopes.
    It's been making whining noises for a while and an Official Motocaddy repair dealership quoted over £100 to shut it up. (sounds like a Mafia threat)

I know at some point soon it's going to die on me, most probably halfway up a hill during a crucial match.

I've spoken to a local repairman who quoted £60 for new motor, extra if we replace the gearbox too. But if I replaced both I would have what is essentially a trolley with all the important moving parts as new

I'm a tightwad and don't want to fork out over £400 for an equivalent new model when the chassis etc is still in prefect nick.
    Advice please.

(don't suggest I fix it myself - I have many practical and intellectual skills but these do not include trolley repair...)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Is it worth replacing motor etc in electric trolley?

No brainer, get it fixed...

Should I bite the bullet and get motor and gearbox replaced even if it's just one of them that's making the noise?
    What else is "in there"?

(as you can see, my degree was in a subject other than engineering!)

Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

Worth asking the repairer if the axels and clutches on the wheels are fine - if so get it fixed as the newer ones are event less sturdy than the one you have.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Titleist 910 H 18 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.7

Quote Originally Posted by mikejohnchapman View Post
    Worth asking the repairer if the axels and clutches on the wheels are fine - if so get it fixed as the newer ones are event less sturdy than the one you have.
    Axles and clutches?
    Right this thing has more moving parts than my car!

Interesting that new models have inferior parts, useful to know thanks.

How many miles has it got on the clock? Mines 4 years old (roughly) and has done 2000 plus miles and still running well.
    If it was me I'd replace the cheaper part first then if that didn't work replace the other but as your paying for labour then my opinion is to take it in to a motocaddy dealer and ask them to fix it. Be like having a new engine and gearbox in your car.
    H/C 17

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    How many miles has it got on the clock? Mines 4 years old (roughly) and has done 2000 plus miles and still running well.
    If it was me I'd replace the cheaper part first then if that didn't work replace the other but as your paying for labour then my opinion is to take it in to a motocaddy dealer and ask them to fix it. Be like having a new engine and gearbox in your car.
    I dunno how far it's done, I don't think I have the display set up to tell me. I'll go and check.
    It's useful to have this info from you guys so that I can sound knowledgeable when I take trolley to him.

Money List Winner

Get him to change both (labour more than parts cost) but then keep both as spares in case of an out of warrantee failure in the future.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

I'd get it fixed... my Powakaddy is over 15 years old and a bit like "Trigger's Broom." But otherwise still going strong
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

[QUOTE=North Mimms;1741496]I dunno how far it's done, I don't think I have the display set up to tell me. I'll go and check.

On the S3 with the battery connected just press the left hand button until miles appears. There are 2 distance travelled in yards then total miles.
    H/C 17