Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2017 Season

Re: NFL 2017 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Tashyboy View Post

As say Mr shark what was the name of that LA raiders punt kicker in the 80's. Read a piece where they thought he had helium in the ball.
    Ray Guy?
    Remember reading about him in the 80s in those magazines you collected with the binder (wish I knew what happened to that, we had the full collection).
    He kicked the ball out of the tunnel at the end of the stadium during his college career...apparently.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    Ray Guy?
    Remember reading about him in the 80s in those magazines you collected with the binder (wish I knew what happened to that, we had the full collection).
    He kicked the ball out of the tunnel at the end of the stadium during his college career...apparently.
    Now how odd is that, I have the same mags in the folder up in the loft. It's those mags in which I read about him.

It was Ray Guy but the story was a complete fabrication. It was from a 1977 game against the then-Houston Oilers and there was bad blood between the two teams, well bad blood between every AFC team and Al Davis. From what I heard a few years back, the GM of the Raiders, Al LoCasale made the reference as a joke and the Oilers took it seriously.

Ray Guy is the best punter in NFL history. His yardage does not stack up to modern numbers because of changes in the ball since then but he was far and away the best of his era.

Club Champion

And a Hall of Famer to boot (pardon the pun)
    Was he one of those that managed to hit the roof of the Superdome (or at least the gondola/scoreboard)?

Funnily enough, I also have the magazines Beezerk mentioned (just simply called American Football I think) plus (I think) all of the 'Quarterback' magazines as well

Quote Originally Posted by Patster1969 View Post

Funnily enough, I also have the magazines Beezerk mentioned (just simply called American Football I think) plus (I think) all of the 'Quarterback' magazines as well
    You're the man, that's exactly...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/American-F...IAAOSwPe1UEazC

Christ I'm so tempted...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-AMERI...kAAOSwC11ZyRUC
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Money List Winner

Your weak, you have gone and bought them haven't you

Been up in the loft today and had a quick look there must be thousands of pounds worth of Rammel up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashyboy View Post
    Your weak, you have gone and bought them haven't you

Been up in the loft today and had a quick look there must be thousands of pounds worth of Rammel up there.
    Put in a daft offer and it was auto accepted 😂

Money List Winner

Put in a daft offer and it was auto accepted 
    Just had a quick look and noticed it had been bought. 2 and 2 and all that. 👍😁

Wow that magazine set takes me back - seem to recall I was involved in writing some stuff for that along with the likes of Keith Webster, Ken Thomas, Peter Rowe and others from the early days of the NFL in this country.

Club Champion

Remember being quite obsessed in the 80's/early 90's when I was a kid - had falling out of love with football in the UK at that point (yes, football did exist pre-Sky) and latched onto the NFL (I think it fitted in with my slightly technical/OCD nature).
    I haven't looked at the mags properly for years, as had been in the loft until we moved nearly 4 years ago & I re-discovered them - they are now on the shelf in the office. Also found a selection of Super Bowl programmes in there, as they used to sell a UK version - 21-29, although no 28 for some reason - plus American Bowl & World Bowl 1 as well - no idea why though, as I tend to never buy them now.