Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Why aren't exact handicaps used?

Reading the Countback thread and find myself questioning why exact handicaps aren't used to determine the placings in the event of a tie?

Why do we use the countback system - why not use exact handicaps rather than rounded 'playing' ones?

I know there's no perfect solution but countback seems a bit arbitrary (and of course play-offs only make sense or are feasible for the odd comp such as maybe the club champs)

Am I missing something obvious?
    Anybody any idea?

Re: Why aren't exact handicaps used?

Been asking the same question for many years, would reduce the need for countback ten fold!
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Good question. I don't like count back but would readily accept losing on exact. Equally, thinking about it, count back is a measure of how you played on the day whereas exact is a measure of countless rounds...
    Give it big humpties

Agreed, I see only upsides in adopting this. For most club competitions it could be automated no problem, for opens you'd need to write your exact handicap on the card but that would be worth it to avoid the somewhat arbitrary tie break procedures. I always felt the 'winner is the player with better inward 9' decider would be harder to justify if you phrased it as its exact equivalent' winner is the player with worse outward 9'.
    North Berwick Golf Club - Handicap 10.6

It's difficult enough getting our seniors to put their correct playing handicap on the card, never mind getting them to find out exact handicap.

This could pose a little problem for handicap secretaries - particularly unpaid volunteers. Committees are currently required to post changes of playing handicaps as soon as possible after competitions are closed. Under the suggestion, all changes of exact handicaps would have to be posted - this will extend, by a little, the workload.

Let's say a player thought he had failed to buffer. He assumed his handicap went up by 0.1 but he didn't realise that CSS went up and he did make buffer. Would you DQ him if he put a higher exact handicap - only by 0.1 - on his card. I foresee chaos if that was introduced.

Q-School Graduate

I have always disliked the countback system when 2 or more tees are used as the start position for a round.

I have lost twice on countback when I started on the 12th tee, a harder start to the course when you have not had time to warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    It's difficult enough getting our seniors to put their correct playing handicap on the card, never mind getting them to find out exact handicap.

This could pose a little problem for handicap secretaries - particularly unpaid volunteers. Committees are currently required to post changes of playing handicaps as soon as possible after competitions are closed. Under the suggestion, all changes of exact handicaps would have to be posted - this will extend, by a little, the workload.

Let's say a player thought he had failed to buffer. He assumed his handicap went up by 0.1 but he didn't realise that CSS went up and he did make buffer. Would you DQ him if he put a higher exact handicap - only by 0.1 - on his card. I foresee chaos if that was introduced.
    OR the simple version that you use the current system, then if it goes to countback the first thing you do is then calculate the scores based off the accurate handicaps
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

How about if the nett scores are tied then it goes down to the gross score? I'm pretty sure that the higher handicappers would not like this but I would have no issue in losing out to a scratch golfer if we shot the same nett score, after all they have shot a better score than me.
    Handicap - 5.3
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* GD AD DI 7x
    Taylormade M1 3 wood GD AD DI 7x
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 5 wood
    Callaway XR Pro 3-PW KBS Tour stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM4 52* Dynamic Gold S300
    Titleist Vokey SM4 58* Dynamic Gold S300
    Odyssey White Ice Teron
    www.cavendishgolfclub.com

Head Pro

At my club we have a three tee start (1, 8, 13), and as it happens until a few years ago we did indeed use exact handicap to resolve ties in comps, which I thought made a lot of sense.

It was changed to the standard countback system a few years ago. So now regardless of whether you start on 1, 8 or 13, your score on holes 10-18 is used to resove ties. Seems bonkers to me, but I think at the time we were told it was something to do with CONGU recommendations.

Exact handicap is based on your performances in the past. Do you really want the result of a competition to be based on something you and your opponent did in the past rather than your performances on that day?