Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Used cars - how old is too old to buy?

Afternoon everyone,

Looking for a new car as mine is about to give up earlier than I wanted it too and it's not worth the cost in getting it fixed due to a number of problems with it. I have been looking around the last couple of days and have seen a variety of cars about, different ages and different mileages.

But how old is too old? Is it better to get a new car with a mid range mileage or an older car with lower mileage?

For example I have seen a 2010 Peugeot 207 SW estate with old 19,000 miles on it, or a 2008 toyota auris with 51644 miles. Or is it better to go with 2013 Peugeot 208 with 61,093 miles on it?

All I need it for is traveling to work and general commuting and the occasional long trip throughout the year. Wedding coming up this year I want to make sure I am getting good value for money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    In the Bag:

Titleist 910 D3 9.5 degree Grafalloy blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
    Callaway X Hot pro hybrid 16 degree
    Cobra FLY-Z plus forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
    Nike VR S400 56/10
    Rife 460 Tour Blade

Handicap - 19.8

http://www.mintogolf.co.uk/

Re: Used cars - how old is too old to buy?

I've always gone for the newest car I can find for the money I have...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

I am buying my new car soon and will be selling my 14yr old Skoda Superb, with its genuine 72k on the clock. I am not trying a sales pitch, other than to say with Ford doing their scrapage scheme, anyone who was so inclined could buy something like my car before the end of Sept (you must have owned the car for 90 days) can then chop it in aginst a new Ford and save some.
    I have already had someone say it to me who is interested in my much cared for barge.
    Forever trying.

Challenge Tour Pro

I would put it this way . I virtually always buy new or nearly and get rid once it obvious that it is starting to develop faults more often than I like. That is normally around 7-8 years old.

Low mileage is no real sign of reliability (I only do about 6k a year). It maybe a car that only does very short journeys which can be more of a car wrecker than something which has lots of mileage but those have been a lot of up and down a motorway.

Assistant Pro

Buy Japanese doesn't seem to matter how many miles they rack up, there bullet proof 👏

Toyota, Honda my favs my type r 100k never spent a penny on it other than tyres, oil etc 53 plate

French expect bills, German expensive repairs, Italian #Fiat expect hassles. For me its all about the brand.
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 7.?

Head Pro

My 10 year old focus st is rotten as a pear, looking at a car from 1967 next so I better start practising my welding!

My 2011 Freelander 2 has 72k on it, been as good as gold and only going as fancy a change.... it's going for a 2016 Merc on sale for about a half what it was new. Cars. Daft.
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
    Buy Japanese doesn't seem to matter how many miles they rack up, there bullet proof 
    I'm starting to agree with this thinking. The most reliable car I owned was a Toyota Avensis and in all its 12 years and 150,000 miles, I never had any trouble with it. Stark contrast to the BMWs I've had in the past and the Jag I currently have, which between them have cost me thousands in repairs and upkeep.

I'll be getting something Japanese next.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Still looking about for a car. Staying away from ford this time as my current one has been nothing but trouble after the first year, and is only getting worse. I had hoped it would have seen out the year and I could have put more towards a newer one but doesn't look likely.
    In the Bag:

Titleist 910 D3 9.5 degree Grafalloy blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
    Callaway X Hot pro hybrid 16 degree
    Cobra FLY-Z plus forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
    Nike VR S400 56/10
    Rife 460 Tour Blade

Handicap - 19.8

http://www.mintogolf.co.uk/

Challenge Tour Pro

I know with last car change I looked very hard at Kias with their very long warranties. However in the end it came down to the type of automatic gearbox they use in the older cars and I did not want to wait a year for a one year older model with the new gearbox to be available.