Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60
  1. #1
    Ryder Cup Winner Region3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    12,191

    Maths / Probability Puzzle

    Heard this ages ago (I believe based on a real TV quiz show), but the Maths thread on here just reminded me of it.


    In the final of a quiz show there are 3 doors. Behind 1 door is the star prize and behind the other 2 are booby prizes.

    You are asked to pick a door as yours. The host then reveals a booby prize behind one of the 2 remaining doors, then asks you if you want to swap your door for the other remaining unopened one.

    Should you swap, or stick, and why?

  2. #2
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    338

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    Stick as you have a 50/50 chance of the prize

    If you switch to one of the other doors it's still 33% chance

  3. #3
    Tour Winner MegaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ruislip
    Posts
    4,563

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    Quote Originally Posted by Region3 View Post
    Heard this ages ago (I believe based on a real TV quiz show), but the Maths thread on here just reminded me of it.


    In the final of a quiz show there are 3 doors. Behind 1 door is the star prize and behind the other 2 are booby prizes.

    You are asked to pick a door as yours. The host then reveals a booby prize behind one of the 2 remaining doors, then asks you if you want to swap your door for the other remaining unopened one.

    Should you swap, or stick, and why?
    Michael Miles... Take your pick.... iirc
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

  4. #4
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,157

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    I would say swap. When you picked your door you had a 33% chance of it being right. You now have a 50% chance of the other door being the right one.

    Will be happy to admit if I'm wrong on this one as it's really just a guess on my part. Or does it not actually matter whether you swap or not as each door now has a 50% chance of being correct?

  5. #5

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    You switch because you have a 66% chance of winning. I know this because I was at the science centre and they told me.

  6. #6
    Challenge Tour Pro TheDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    611

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    You should always switch. It gives you a 2/3 chance of winning, when previously you had a 1/3 (and therefore have 1/3 chance when sticking). Same principle applies for shows such as Deal or No Deal - mathematically you should always switch.

  7. #7
    Ryder Cup Winner Region3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    12,191

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    I would say swap. When you picked your door you had a 33% chance of it being right. You now have a 50% chance of the other door being the right one.

    Will be happy to admit if I'm wrong on this one as it's really just a guess on my part. Or does it not actually matter whether you swap or not as each door now has a 50% chance of being correct?
    2 ways of looking at it, and if I remember right there was disagreement between 2 branches of mathematics at the time.

    On the one hand you could say 2 doors, 1 star prize = 50% chance of winning.

    The way I look at it (as HowlingGale and TheDiablo above) is that if your gameplan is to swap no matter what then you win the star prize if you initially pick a booby prize (2/3) and win a booby prize if you initially pick the star prize (1/3).

  8. #8
    Tour Winner Maninblack4612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    South Shields
    Posts
    3,090

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDiablo View Post
    You should always switch. It gives you a 2/3 chance of winning, when previously you had a 1/3 (and therefore have 1/3 chance when sticking). Same principle applies for shows such as Deal or No Deal - mathematically you should always switch.
    Seriously!?

    There's a 50% chance you have made the right choice. Makes no difference if you swop, you still have a 50:50 chance of being right.

    That is so obvious I can't believe anyone can think otherwise.
    Taylormade M1 9, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

  9. #9
    Tour Winner Kellfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York
    Posts
    3,288

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    Seriously!?

    There's a 50% chance you have made the right choice. Makes no difference if you swop, you still have a 50:50 chance of being right.

    That is so obvious I can't believe anyone can think otherwise.
    Statistically speaking you're wrong through.

  10. #10

    Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

    I would rather open the box.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Black Friday Groupon Golf Deals

Check out these superb Groupon golf deals, ranging from fourballs to lessons to simulator experiences

November 17, 2017

Save Over 200 On This Bushnell Golf Pro X7 Jolt Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

Check out this cracking offer on Amazon to buy this Bushnell Golf Pro X7 Jolt Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

November 17, 2017

Black Friday Amazon Golf Deals

Amazon is an incredible place to buy anything of course, but the golf section on the website is a great place to find some goodies for your game

November 17, 2017

Get A Half Price Sky Sports Pass With This Now TV Offer From Just 33.99

The on demand Sky Sports service Now TV has got an awesome Black Friday two for one offer on its Sky Sports Pass

November 17, 2017

Black Friday American Golf Deals

We check out the best deal that retailer American Golf currently have on their site

November 17, 2017