Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Maths / Probability Puzzle

Heard this ages ago (I believe based on a real TV quiz show), but the Maths thread on here just reminded me of it.

In the final of a quiz show there are 3 doors. Behind 1 door is the star prize and behind the other 2 are booby prizes.

You are asked to pick a door as yours. The host then reveals a booby prize behind one of the 2 remaining doors, then asks you if you want to swap your door for the other remaining unopened one.

Should you swap, or stick, and why?

Head Pro

Re: Maths / Probability Puzzle

Stick as you have a 50/50 chance of the prize

If you switch to one of the other doors it's still 33% chance

Quote Originally Posted by Region3 View Post
    Heard this ages ago (I believe based on a real TV quiz show), but the Maths thread on here just reminded me of it.

In the final of a quiz show there are 3 doors. Behind 1 door is the star prize and behind the other 2 are booby prizes.

You are asked to pick a door as yours. The host then reveals a booby prize behind one of the 2 remaining doors, then asks you if you want to swap your door for the other remaining unopened one.

Should you swap, or stick, and why?
    Michael Miles... Take your pick.... iirc
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Tour Winner

I would say swap. When you picked your door you had a 33% chance of it being right. You now have a 50% chance of the other door being the right one.

Will be happy to admit if I'm wrong on this one as it's really just a guess on my part. Or does it not actually matter whether you swap or not as each door now has a 50% chance of being correct?

You switch because you have a 66% chance of winning. I know this because I was at the science centre and they told me.

You should always switch. It gives you a 2/3 chance of winning, when previously you had a 1/3 (and therefore have 1/3 chance when sticking). Same principle applies for shows such as Deal or No Deal - mathematically you should always switch.

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    I would say swap. When you picked your door you had a 33% chance of it being right. You now have a 50% chance of the other door being the right one.

Will be happy to admit if I'm wrong on this one as it's really just a guess on my part. Or does it not actually matter whether you swap or not as each door now has a 50% chance of being correct?
    2 ways of looking at it, and if I remember right there was disagreement between 2 branches of mathematics at the time.

On the one hand you could say 2 doors, 1 star prize = 50% chance of winning.

The way I look at it (as HowlingGale and TheDiablo above) is that if your gameplan is to swap no matter what then you win the star prize if you initially pick a booby prize (2/3) and win a booby prize if you initially pick the star prize (1/3).

Quote Originally Posted by TheDiablo View Post
    You should always switch. It gives you a 2/3 chance of winning, when previously you had a 1/3 (and therefore have 1/3 chance when sticking). Same principle applies for shows such as Deal or No Deal - mathematically you should always switch.
    Seriously!?

There's a 50% chance you have made the right choice. Makes no difference if you swop, you still have a 50:50 chance of being right.

That is so obvious I can't believe anyone can think otherwise.
    Taylormade M1 9, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    Seriously!?

There's a 50% chance you have made the right choice. Makes no difference if you swop, you still have a 50:50 chance of being right.

That is so obvious I can't believe anyone can think otherwise.
    Statistically speaking you're wrong through.

I would rather open the box.