Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Member's Tees... still..!?

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    almost the complete opposite round here, if youre a visitor its "tees of the day" also know as yellows only. you also see courses shove the yellows even further forward when they have big societies visiting
    actually Muirfield have tee's of the day, thats the only place ive played recently that has this.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Maybe the teeing areas are small, and thus due to a lot of traffic on them they are reserved for members. Maybe the white tees are reserved for comps.

If, as you say, there's only 200yds difference between whites and yellows, i.e. on average 11.1 yds difference per hole, why the temper tantrum?

Yes the guy was an obnoxious hoik... not sure being over 55 yrs old has any relevance.
    Says it all
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Members course, they can do what they like.
    Some even make you wear silly coloured clothes and long socks.
    If you don't like it don't return.

I suspect your dislike of shorter courses is due to a weakness in your game ?
    Your loss as you really are missing out on some gems.
    http://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-cou...at-britain.htm

Some crackers on here that are under 6000 yards......take a glance at the 'close but no cigar ones as well'.

I'd rather take the top 20 over 6,000 yards..!

Listen, not going to argue or debate whether a course under 6k yards can be nice, of course they can..! See my original post too where i make the connection between length of course and the par. Most of the examples you've shown are all under par 70 courses.

Not sure how you draw a link between my preference of playing longer courses with a lack of skill..?!? Please expand on this...

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike07 View Post
    ... Shouldn't we be playing off the tees which are suited to our skill or handicap..?
    What handicap range would you suggest for each tee?
    In my experience, choice of tees, at least between Yellow and Whites/Visitors only makes a real difference on a limited number of holes - mostly Par 3s.

Given that differences between Whites and Yellows are normally in the range 250-400 yards over the entire course, the average difference between tees is around 15-25 yards! So i'd strongly suggest that it's pretty irrelevant!

I'm all in favour of letting each set of players choose - with some advice/suggestion for 'tough' courses. I'm also happy that 'competition' tees are closed, but only for recovery of teeing area. I'm definitely not a fan of clubs that only allow them to be used for competitions!

It's the waywardness of Drives - something that choice of tee isn't going to change - and bad decision-making/shot choice on recovery and shots to the green that most reflect handicap levels. Oh, and quality of putting!

Most of the clubs I've been associated with allow members to choose which tees to use. Some have specific Visitor tees, others recommend - and some even insist - that Yellows are used.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

http://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-cou...at-britain.htm

Some crackers on here that are under 6000 yards......take a glance at the 'close but no cigar ones as well'.
    Gullane 3 and Kilspindie are 2 I've played often and loved every time. Especially as a 2nd course in the day - playing (one of) their neighbour(s) in the morning!

And the 'CBNC' Swinley Forest is just magnificent - especially with a 2nd loop! Same goes for New Zealand!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Years ago (probably the 80's) me and my mates were asked if we were members to which I replied "are you?"
    Cobra King F6 10.5* regular
    Cobra King F6 14.5* 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 Wood Project X
    Callaway XR 22* 4hybrid Project X
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 5 Iron Orochi Red Eye
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 6 Iron Orochi Red Eye
    Adams Blue 7-PW regular
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB Black Pearl 48/52/56 Wedges
    Bettinardi Kutcher Model 1 Putter
    Bridgestone, Callaway, Nike, Srixon, TM, Titleist, Vice, Wilson balls
    Motocaddy S1 Lite & bag

Tour Rookie

If you look at most golf club websites they always quote the length of the course from the tips to make it sound good in the description.

The only time the other tees are mentioned is usually if you look on the scorecard.
    If they require you to play certain tees it should state this on the site.

My club makes visitors play off yellow but members can choose don't ask me I just play there.

I would think under the trades description act before you pay your cash if a course is described as 6500yds and you only get 6000 yds that's not delivering what they advertised.

Imagine hiring a five a side pitch but you were not allowed to use one of the penalty areas!

Tour Rookie

If you turn up somewhere tho and want to play a certain tee why not just do that? A few of us played a couple of other courses at the weekend, on Saturday we chose to play the whites and yesterday we decided on yellows. If the tee boxes are out just use them.

A few years ago I played Arbroath and was about to tee off on the 1st when the pro came out to watch. I made a joke about charging for advice from watching me - his rude comment was back was "I only came out to make sure you played off the yellow tees".

So I did. On the first. I then played off the whites on the other 17 holes out of principle. On talking to one of the greenkeepers, he said how everyone thought the pro was a nob. So I made sure I told him what I had done when I got back in.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    almost the complete opposite round here, if youre a visitor its "tees of the day" also know as yellows only. you also see courses shove the yellows even further forward when they have big societies visiting
    This drives me crazy!! 440yd par 5s - absolute joke.
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.2