Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Member's Tees... still..!?

can't say i've played at places that the whites are reserved for members only, up here its either play off what you like (apart from the very back blue at Nairn,Nairn Dunbar, Spey Valley and Moray) or yellow. only.

I do find you get a better idea of what a course is like off the whites, My home course is a far better course off the whites same with Tain.

But also understand why some places don't let you play off the whites on a daily basis. Royal Dornoch for instance. if they let everyone off the whites it would be chaos. hundreds of 4 balls of Americans who think they hit it 260 off the tee, when in fact they barley hit it 200 on a good day and already take 5 hours around a course all of a sudden playing from harder tee's
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Ryder Cup Winner

http://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-cou...at-britain.htm

Some crackers on here that are under 6000 yards......take a glance at the 'close but no cigar ones as well'.

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    There's a lot of chips on a lot of shoulders in this thread
    You meant this forum when you said thread, right..?

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Maybe if people followed club rules there wouldn't be 'on course police'.

It's not that difficult.......
    I played once with my friend who was member of that golf club, I at another local one. He played off 5 and me of 17 we were 18/19 at the time. It was a very hot day so I was wearing shorts, polo, shirt and trainer socks. I paid my money at the pro shop. The pro was very friendly didn't say anything and we went and tee'd off.

Not long we caught up with a 4 ball of Seniors, who were playing very slowly. Firstly they didn't call us through, though obviously they were holding us up. Then when we asked if we could play through, they said that they were playing in a mathplay competition so couldn't (by that I mean a club knock out not a match so no one infront of them was playing a competition.)

One of the Seniors then came up to me and asked "don't you know who I am" after saying no. "I'm the senior captain of this club, and we don't allow rugby tops, shorts like that or trainer socks". Well it wasn't a rugby top, the shorts where fairly normal shorts, possibly a touch longer than other people's.

Now possibly I was a foul of the club rules, however the pro didn't mind, I am a paying member and there are ways to mention it without coming across as an obnoxious arse
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC

Hanidcap - Pending (playing off about 10)

In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3

3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid

Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+

Wedges: Ping MB 48, 54, 60 Putter: Yes! Olivia

Tour Winner

Don't know any different down in my area
    Casual golf, visitors, yellow tees only
    With a few exceptions, maybe a handful of so
    Mainly resort type, hotel courses, that allow play from any tee

No big deal
    Certainly wouldn't be offended if visiting somewhere and they insist that play is from the yellows

Challenge Tour Pro

We have 'tees of the day', everybody has to use those tees regardless of status except if playing an 'official' match.

We have relatively small tees and it is all about preservation of the condition of the whites for comps.

Judging by what I have seen at our club some of the lowest figure handicaps are the worst at filling the divots on the tees and it would be probably the lowest figure handicaps that would always want to play of the whites.

I always thought white tees were for competitions only, rather than members only. And I assumed that would be so they don't get all carved up by constant use, so as to keep them in good nick for said competitions. Perhaps I've assumed wrongly? Maybe it's like that for some places and not others.

When I'm playing a friendly round I tend to just play off yellows anyway.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersoft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Assistant Pro

Pretty much why I play from the whites as they yellows are normally wrecked and bare

( :-QUOTE=Orikoru;1740809]I always thought white tees were for competitions only, rather than members only. And I assumed that would be so they don't get all carved up by constant use, so as to keep them in good nick for said competitions. Perhaps I've assumed wrongly? Maybe it's like that for some places and not others.

When I'm playing a friendly round I tend to just play off yellows anyway.[/QUOTE]
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 7.?

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike07 View Post
    Who has broken any club rules..?
    You tell me? it was a generic comment. Clearly people do though otherwise there wouldn't be self elected people having to pull others up.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    can't say i've played at places that the whites are reserved for members only, up here its either play off what you like (apart from the very back blue at Nairn,Nairn Dunbar, Spey Valley and Moray) or yellow. only.

I do find you get a better idea of what a course is like off the whites, My home course is a far better course off the whites same with Tain.

But also understand why some places don't let you play off the whites on a daily basis. Royal Dornoch for instance. if they let everyone off the whites it would be chaos. hundreds of 4 balls of Americans who think they hit it 260 off the tee, when in fact they barley hit it 200 on a good day and already take 5 hours around a course all of a sudden playing from harder tee's
    almost the complete opposite round here, if youre a visitor its "tees of the day" also know as yellows only. you also see courses shove the yellows even further forward when they have big societies visiting
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7